Discuss Apprentice in need of help with college work. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am currently in the second year of my apprenticeship and i'm in the process of doing my design project. im stuck on one of the questions (the last question :rolleyes: ). The question is relating to isolation and switching, I have to give an example for:

• Isolation for electrical maintenance (this would be the RCBO that protects that circuit)
  • Switching for mechanical maintenance ( This would be an Isolator switch controlling pool equipment)
  • Functional switching ( from my understanding this would be a light switch , if im wrong please give me an example)

However, the second part of the question asks for some further requirements which i cant find anywhere!?
so if you can give me an example for each of the following below and explain to me why i would be extremely grateful...

• Further requirements for switching for mechanical maintenance, Relating to devices which are not under effective control.
  • Further requirements for switching for mechanical maintenance relating to switching capability
-Further requirements for functional switching relating to rating where used for discharge lighting.

Many thanks

Further requirements for switching for mechanical maintenance, Relating to devices which are not under effective control. i would imagine this question involves locking off
Further requirements for switching for mechanical maintenance relating to switching capability - could relate to whether or not the device will switch under load without damage.
Further requirements for functional switching relating to rating where used for discharge lighting. might be to do with the switch on inrush.

Further requirements for switching for mechanical maintenance, Relating to devices which are not under effective control. i would imagine this question involves locking off
Further requirements for switching for mechanical maintenance relating to switching capability - could relate to whether or not the device will switch under load without damage.
Further requirements for functional switching relating to rating where used for discharge lighting. might be to do with the switch on inrush.
Cheers mate, that really clears it all up. I Was getting into a right mess, when i look at it now it all seems simple :D. just needed a fresh mind to have a look at it.

many thanks !!!

This info might be going off in a tangent but thought it might come in handy.

safe isolation for mechanical process is normally by Double block and bleed. by using chain and a lock to prevent the arm of a valve to be manually opened And bleeding the process line to prevent dangerous pressures and unwanted process build up.
mechanical isolations can also come into the mix with electronic control valves like solenoids, Shut off valves, Actuators.

The job I’m at is literally a hybrid of electrical, instrumentation & Mechanical. One day I’ll be testing and cleaning Solenoids. The next changing Lube oil filters and doing Alignments. All good fun. Plus it’s American equipment. So going from metric to imperial took some time getting used to.

So going from metric to imperial took some time getting used to.
i'm the opposite. always worked in imperial, can't get my head round metric. i can visualise 6 feet,or 12 inches, but can't do metric unless i open a dual measurement tape measure and convert.

Reply to Apprentice in need of help with college work. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net