Discuss Apprentices and Knives in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Boy

Electrician's Arms
I have been working last couple weeks with a SE spark right nice bloke who has an apprentice...Guess what HE is NOT allowed to use a knife at college ? HAS this world gone FKN mad ? So he can go off and join the Army or have Sex but he can't ring a bit of SWA ?...Just gonna nut the door !

J

Landril

Regular EF Member
Mad aint it, H&S would have us jump through hoops until something needs doing in a hurry and they get paid to get the hell off site!!

Marvo

Admin and gender confused
Staff member
Admin
There was a thread a while ago here about the same subject of health and safety gone mad and whether carrying a knife in your toolbox is good or bad.

I thought those 'impossible to cut yourself' safety knives were all the rage nowadays.

P

Plonker 3

I remember when I started college about 18 yeas ago when I started college, you could only use/ take in a cable knife and not use a stanley knife.

Suppose it won't be long until they stop them using screwdrivers too as they can be a bugger when you stab yourself in then hand.

PEG

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
That apprentices' college needs a field trip round my way,if teenagers can have firearms,class A drugs,fighting dogs,tasers and CS gas,then the least they can give em' is a quality craft knife. With a safety cork fitted,obviously.

ipf

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I have been working last couple weeks with a SE spark right nice bloke who has an apprentice...Guess what HE is NOT allowed to use a knife at college ? HAS this world gone FKN mad ? So he can go off and join the Army or have Sex but he can't ring a bit of SWA ?...Just gonna nut the door !

J
Have they banned wood chisels for apprentice joiners yet ?

A

Adam W

When I was at college we weren't allowed to take Stanley-type knives in - we had to use electricians' knives or the stupid blunt cobblers' knives they provided which may have been ok for spreading margarine but not much else.

Deleted member 9648

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Was at the British Gypsum site at Mountfield recently......site induction stated strictly no stanley knives in your toolbox under threat of being removed from site if found with one.......no problem with a chainsaw as far as I could tell though.:shocked:

Farmelectrics

Farmelectrics
Electrician's Arms
Your not allowed to use a Stanley nice on most blue book jobs in the uk either they give you stripping tool for the swa more dangerous if you ask me

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
We were at the supermarket a while back and there was a money-off voucher in one of the local papers. One of the till ladies offered to cut it out for us, but after a few minutes of trying with a "plastic pair of safety scissors" she gave up and we ripped it out.

Robotstar5

Regular EF Member
Production operatives use stanley knives at work for opening cardboard boxes and we issue spare blades from the maint dept, previous H&S guy made us hand out a warning memo ("warning, sharp blades" etc.) with each one, what a waste of paper. Luckily present H&S guy is more practical and saves wasting paper!.

Johnuk

Electrician's Arms
you may find that some dumb ass have been walking around college with tools in this pocket and got court with a knive on him

jenions

Regular EF Member
I always carry my stanley knife in my work trousers, its a useful tool that can get you out of a number of situations. I've hit myself with a hammer more than I've cut myself so... At this rate we'll end up wiv a toolbox from the early learning centre

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

SJD

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I have 4 different types of knives in my tool bag, couldn't imagine being without them. Back at home, one of my favourite tools is the scalpel, but I don't take those out with me.

L

Lucas

I remeember it was safety knives only at college.

Current apprentice has been on the job for two weeks, said to him under no circumstances if he to use a stanley blade because he doesn't know how to use one safely. Nipped out of the job for 10minuites, come back he comes running back to the van crying for a plaster. Asked him what happened, turned out he cut himself on a stanley blade taking some old lino flooring up, wasnt even looking at what he was doing when he cut himself!
Said to him I tell you things for a reason, not just for fun!!!! (Apart from when he asked for a Fellatio cake in Greggs for me)

Paullestrange

Regular EF Member
H&S gone mad ive always used a stanley knife,and yup ive cut my fingers a few times but i can still count to Ten with my fingers.Most building sites now as you all know,site manager wants you wearing gloves whats all that about oh yeah
H&S gone mad.

S

SirKit Breaker

J
Apprentices can use knives, but not the stanley type.

Cheers..............Howard

Rob

Control System Engineer
Electrician's Arms
The company I work for makes the fitters wear Kevlar sleeves when there using Stanley knifes.

They did try and make the electricians wear them too... I've managed to stop them so far.

trev

Regular EF Member
Most building sites now as you all know,site manager wants you wearing gloves whats all that about oh yeah
H&S gone mad.
I was on a site for Baileys a few years back and we were instructed to wear gloves at all times withing the site boundary but because it's tricky terminating cables with them on we were allowed to cut the fingers and thumbs of them.
No one ever replied when I asked what the point of gloves was (It's a precaution against leptospirosis aka Weills disease apparently)

K

Knobhead

The biggest problem I’ve had is convincing people of the dangers of blunt knifes. The main reason I always used a Stanley or Tyzak knife. You can’t get the Tyzak anymore.

PEG

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Yep,how i was brought up.A blunt knife is more dangerous than a sharp one but ONLY when used by someone instructed in its safe use.Mind you,i spent half an hour showing my lad (8 at the time) how to use a hot glue gun and ended up taking the skin off my thumb....

spark 68

Electrician's Arms
Worked on a site once, and the all metal stanley knives were banned (live bars below), technically we were supposed to use ceramic bladed knives aswell, but they agreed to allow us plastic handled knives.

I , and a couple of lads got one from a pound type shop (as we needed them that day), on the cardboard packaging a warning:
Warning Not Suitable For Children Under 4 Years !
WTF ?:joker:

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
Worked on a site once, and the all metal stanley knives were banned (live bars below), technically we were supposed to use ceramic bladed knives aswell, but they agreed to allow us plastic handled knives.

I , and a couple of lads got one from a pound type shop (as we needed them that day), on the cardboard packaging a warning:
Warning Not Suitable For Children Under 4 Years !
WTF ?:joker:
They must breed em tough where those knives were made :)

Arnold Layne

Regular EF Member
Whats a Blue Book job mate never heard of that

J
Blue Book is the National Agreement used on the power generation sites. But Stanley knives are " unwelcome" on most commercial/industrial jobs, not just the Blue Book sites. And as to gloves there are more varieties than Heinz offered to you on most of the commercial and industrial sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 63 67.0%
  • Black

Votes: 31 33.0%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.