Discuss Apprentices and Knives in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have been working last couple weeks with a SE spark right nice bloke who has an apprentice...Guess what HE is NOT allowed to use a knife at college ? HAS this world gone FKN mad ? So he can go off and join the Army or have Sex but he can't ring a bit of SWA ?...Just gonna nut the door !

J

There was a thread a while ago here about the same subject of health and safety gone mad and whether carrying a knife in your toolbox is good or bad.

I thought those 'impossible to cut yourself' safety knives were all the rage nowadays.

I remember when I started college about 18 yeas ago when I started college, you could only use/ take in a cable knife and not use a stanley knife.

Suppose it won't be long until they stop them using screwdrivers too as they can be a bugger when you stab yourself in then hand.

That apprentices' college needs a field trip round my way,if teenagers can have firearms,class A drugs,fighting dogs,tasers and CS gas,then the least they can give em' is a quality craft knife. With a safety cork fitted,obviously.

I have been working last couple weeks with a SE spark right nice bloke who has an apprentice...Guess what HE is NOT allowed to use a knife at college ? HAS this world gone FKN mad ? So he can go off and join the Army or have Sex but he can't ring a bit of SWA ?...Just gonna nut the door !

J
Have they banned wood chisels for apprentice joiners yet ?

When I was at college we weren't allowed to take Stanley-type knives in - we had to use electricians' knives or the stupid blunt cobblers' knives they provided which may have been ok for spreading margarine but not much else.

Was at the British Gypsum site at Mountfield recently......site induction stated strictly no stanley knives in your toolbox under threat of being removed from site if found with one.......no problem with a chainsaw as far as I could tell though.:shocked:

Your not allowed to use a Stanley nice on most blue book jobs in the uk either they give you stripping tool for the swa more dangerous if you ask me

We were at the supermarket a while back and there was a money-off voucher in one of the local papers. One of the till ladies offered to cut it out for us, but after a few minutes of trying with a "plastic pair of safety scissors" she gave up and we ripped it out.

Production operatives use stanley knives at work for opening cardboard boxes and we issue spare blades from the maint dept, previous H&S guy made us hand out a warning memo ("warning, sharp blades" etc.) with each one, what a waste of paper. Luckily present H&S guy is more practical and saves wasting paper!.

I always carry my stanley knife in my work trousers, its a useful tool that can get you out of a number of situations. I've hit myself with a hammer more than I've cut myself so... At this rate we'll end up wiv a toolbox from the early learning centre

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Another 5 years, and this will be our tool box!!!

Apprentices and Knives {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I have 4 different types of knives in my tool bag, couldn't imagine being without them. Back at home, one of my favourite tools is the scalpel, but I don't take those out with me.

Reply to Apprentices and Knives in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock