Discuss apprenticeship wages? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey,

I've just started my apprenticeship and im unsure of the wages that i will be receiving.

My boss has told me that i will be getting £6.57 an hour. But everyone else in my college class is getting much much lower. One boy is getting £1.90 an hour and he is 18 which i think is robbery. Others are getting between £3 and £5.

One of my mates told me that because i have a level 3 qualification already(2 a-levels), i've been given higher wages:confused: is this true?

I really hope it is, but i pretty sure i'll be getting less than my boss told me.

Thanks in advance
Aaron

Last edited:
I don't think the A levels make a difference. They didn't to me. One of the main criteria is age when it comes to setting wages. Are you older than any of the others?

I don't think the A levels make a difference. They didn't to me. One of the main criteria is age when it comes to setting wages. Are you older than any of the others?

im 18, there are others in my class that are 18 and some 16 and 17.

£1.90 is what is paid to school leavers that are placed through training schemes but he will get extras that top it up to £120.00 per week. I know because that is what my bitch sorry apprentice gets. As for the other wages it is all dependent on age, minimum wage and what the employer wants to pay.

£1.90 is what is paid to school leavers that are placed through training schemes but he will get extras that top it up to £120.00 per week. I know because that is what my bitch sorry apprentice gets. As for the other wages it is all dependent on age, minimum wage and what the employer wants to pay.
is it legal to pay even a school leaver £1.90 ?and who tops it up ,i might get me a couple of loft rats if they are that cheap;)

Minimum wage rules do not apply to all stages of an apprenticeship. 16 to 18 year old apprentices are exempt from the minimum wage. When the apprentice reachs 18 the minium wage will be £4.60. The top ups come from the local council and other government body's.

The main point is, I DON'T PAY A PENNEY:D:D

This is for a 35 hour week. He can work a small amout of overtime which i have to pay for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minimum wage rules do not apply to all stages of an apprenticeship. 16 to 18 year old apprentices are exempt from the minimum wage. When the apprentice reachs 18 the minium wage will be £4.60. The top ups come from the local council and other government body's.

This is for a 35 hour week. He can work a small amout of overtime which i have to pay for.

Note the emphasis on the small.

Your so cheap Spark-Doctor. :p

I have to pay for his PPE. Tried to put him in a pair of my old steel toe caps but he has little girl feet. Had to buy a new pair, £26.00 they cost me:D

I have to pay for his PPE. Tried to put him in a pair of my old steel toe caps but he has little girl feet. Had to buy a new pair, £26.00 they cost me:D

Should have just stuffed old newspapers in them.

£26 eh? Scandalous. (Can't you take it out of his overtime?)

im liking the sound of this,so do i have to contact the council if i take one on,how much does the insurance cost?

i nrever thought of getting a female cirrus thats brilliant:D wonder if mel fancies a career change;)

Joking aside, he is as keen as mustard. I have said i will pay for 1 driving lesson a week for 10 weeks (so he can pick me up and i can go back to sleep, after he has passed) and i have bought him some hand tools. He cleans them spotless before they go back in the box. Chatters like a monkey all day asking questions and wants to do things way above himself.

He is sh*t scared of Mrs Doc after she shouted at us the other day for coming into the kitchen with dirty boots on.

Contact your local job centre and they will put you in touch with local apprentice providers. The paperwork is a little heavy and you will be inspected. Must have a health and saftey policy and such. Insurance no different as a i have several employees allready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joking aside, he is as keen as mustard. I have said i will pay for 1 driving lesson a week for 10 weeks (so he can pick me up and i can go back to sleep, after he has passed) and i have bought him some hand tools. He cleans them spotless before they go back in the box. Chatters like a monkey all day asking questions and wants to do things way above himself.

He is sh*t scared of Mrs Doc after she shouted at us the other day for coming into the kitchen with dirty boots on.

So are you :D

Reply to apprenticeship wages? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock