Discuss Apprenticesxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Being only 25 i think its fairly recent for me.

Leaving school at 16, i simply couldnt find the apprentiship i was looking for and ended up enrolling on 2330 course for 2 years. The only people on the course who seemed to have apprentiship style training where those who had family in the trade.

For my first job as a trainee, I was told to register self-employed and paid £30 a day which I'm sure would be quite daunting for most people. Every job I have had since then has always been under a self-employed basis, i just think know one wants to actually employ anyone anymore.

Am I out of touch with modern trends? don't answer that if you can't be nice.
I see a lot of threads, enquiring about "how do I get an Apprenticeship" and "I'm an Adult Apprentice"
Have things changed? daft question really of course they have, with the onset of short courses etc, I'm not having a dig at short courses, honestly, I just cant understand, how Guys and Gals are searching pillar to post foe Apprenticeships.
There are those who will say "things have moved on Pete" but many of the larger Electrical Companies treat Apprenticeships as what they are, a commitment to someone who is willing to train, work for low wages for a period of time and eventually learn a trade, qualify properly, and become Electricians, you hear of people moving from one post to another for an Apprentice position.
Can someone please explain, to someone Old School, how the Apprentice thing works these days, because I'm lost.
I can understand people with commitments, trying the short course route, I don't personally like it but, it's the new wave I presume, I was indentured for 6 years, this must have changed, so will someone please explain to an on fart how it works these days, much appreciated in advance, just to ease my furrowed brow, and ease an Old timers worries. please.
I done a proper apprenticeship with SECTT and the SJIB and on the back of my craftsman certificate it lists the places you were employed throughout your apprenticeship (I only had the one)so I take it it went on with the proper ones too....

From what I’ve been told, the Government has stopped or reduced the amount they pay employers to take on Aprentices.
As far as I am aware, there are still companies that take on Aprentices, T Clarkes, London Guild, Gratte Brothers, even smaller companies like SEE had Aprentices, before they went bust.

Dont know if I said earlier Spin but I get no financial assistance at all in Scotland apart from that the course is funded by different parties. I have to pay my apprentice his wages, travel etc. Cant claim anything back.

As a mature enthusiast looking for a new career I could not even get any of "equal opportunity" employers to return my calls. Eventually put myself through college and part P etc; an impossible task without family support. Two youngsters sitting on my class had been used a cheap improvers for four years as part of their so called apprenticeship. Que the British companies crying "we can't get the quality staff in the UK" before under paying some poor European who just wants a better life for his family. I love this job but despair of the people that run the industry.

Dont know if I said earlier Spin but I get no financial assistance at all in Scotland apart from that the course is funded by different parties. I have to pay my apprentice his wages, travel etc. Cant claim anything back.
Do you not still get a little bonus once the apprentice passes his FICA?

I have a level 2 trainee at the moment. He’s paid £40 a week for 2 years by college, then he goes on to level 3 where he becomes an employee and gets national minimum wage.

He’s been with me since Sept and whilst he’s a million times better than the 3 I had last year, he’s still not able to earn the £20 a day cash I throw him extra a day, and according to my accountant I’d be worried I will never get what needs to be billed out for him should he move on to level 3 now for the rest of his 4 years, if he gets his gcse resit maths. It’s actually not much difference between it and when he’d be 3rd year level, so in my eyes the first year rate is too high and should be more like £50-80 a week, the time you lose trying to teach them anything is unreal, they don’t have a clue about materials for months and months, so don’t speed you up that way.

Then these days because they’re all cotton wool wrapped snowflake babies, their mummies have them so mollie coddled they don’t even know what a brush and shovel is, never mind how to use them lol

I became a EITB registered trainer just before I finished my apprenticeship. The up and coming apprentice’s grasp of maths was always my bugbear.

As for the brush and shovel, apprentices, trades men, charge hands and the forman all mucked in to clean the workshop. “You’re there to learn a trade, not make tea!”

I became a EITB registered trainer just before I finished my apprenticeship. The up and coming apprentice’s grasp of maths was always my bugbear.

As for the brush and shovel, apprentices, trades men, charge hands and the forman all mucked in to clean the workshop. “You’re there to learn a trade, not make tea!”

That’s my attitude, and I don’t ask anyone to do anything I won’t do myself, unless it’s to fit into a space I’m never squeezing into lol

But I actually had to show my one how to brush up on Tuesday there, he did a half job, if that even.

I hate to generalise, but are kids IQ's and common sense not what they where 20-30 years ago.
They seem very easily distracted and when given a task do half a job.
As Phil says about his apprentice and brushing up. I've had exactly the same. If you've got to start teaching these little non skilled basic tasks how on earth are they going to cope with actual electrical work.

I have taken older trainees to give them experience and all is fine, but when going to 16-19year olds they are absolutely useless.

I could go on but this is turning into a rant.

I think kids think they are better than they are and deserve more in a quicker time due to unrealistic expectations put on to them in the education system.

Everyone's a winner, you can achieve anything you want.

Not everyone can come first place and out of the thousands of kids who want to be an astronaut, it's just not possible for all of them to achieve this.

Sorry it did turn into a rant.

You have to consider that as more and more kids are pushed towards further education and university the quality of the ones that end up going down the work based learning route is going to suffer.

Even when I left school back in 2005 we were heavily pushed towards further education. Apprenticeships were talked about but not in a great amount of detail and I was advised the I should apply for college or 6thform as a 'back up' incase I could not find an apprenticeship.

The reason I had to go the very hard route of self employed. I don't mind making tea / load the van / clearing up BUT don't expect me to spend thousands in college fees, bring 30 years of home repair, a driver's licence and tools and learn nothing. I'm sure there are companies that would / could develop skills...but they would not employ someone of my age and never will.

the time you lose trying to teach them anything is unreal, they don’t have a clue about materials for months and months, so don’t speed you up that way.
lol

It's all because of Meccano and the bicycles :) Obviously, you get a Meccano kit at age five, fix your own bicycle at ten, your motor bike at sixteen, your flat at twenty...you get my point. Youngsters are, unfortunately taught that only gods can fix a smart phone and are therefor clueless about fixing....anything :(

Incidentally, John Haynes passed away recently. He of Haynes Manuals and the start of my education.

BTW, Marti...
all you said is so true...
we learned!
We did stuff...we worked it out, and we were real!
I loved fixing my bike, my first car, my first boat...all with some basic tools, a socket set and some cheap drivers...
I once got a torque wrench for christmas (still got it!) and my pals thought I was a posh tart!

However, we must be careful...lest this develop into a rant...shhh!

We did stuff...we worked it out, and we were real!.....

I once got a torque wrench for christmas (still got it!) and my pals thought I was a posh tart!

However, we must be careful...lest this develop into a rant...shhh!

NO...Never! No ol' man ranting allowed.
(Mumbles) Post tool tart with with torque wrench. I used me teeth :)

Seriously, the skills and confidence come with time, with repetition and with skinned knuckles. You have to feel for the tradesman trying to pack our teenage years of learnin' into a "toolbox talk" on using a screwdriver without destroying the screw head. Young people are brilliant in so many way; just not all of the ways that make a brilliant tradesman.

Ive worked with lots of youngsters over the last 15 years, I reckon 10% were good, some had attitude, some were just really akward, but unfortunately most were to easily distracted or busy on their phones.
I remember setting this lad up one day to drill joists. I explained how to measure and where to drill, then after using a chaulk line I set him up using an angle drill which had a spiral (arger) wood bit. Simple right? No !
He came back 30mins later with one trouser leg ripped clean off, silly fool had a phone call and instead of finishing up with the drill he rushed to answer his phone while still holding the drill anyway he knocked the trigger started the drill up while it was hanging next to his leg, his trousers got caught in the drill bit and tore them off. Could have been serious, could have lost a leg or ripped his muscle or tendons out.

Maybe its just the people my old boss used to employe, but it puts me off getting one myself and I could do with a hand.

Ive worked with lots of youngsters over the last 15 years, I reckon 10% were good, some had attitude, some were just really akward, but unfortunately most were to easily distracted or busy on their phones.
I remember setting this lad up one day to drill joists. I explained how to measure and where to drill, then after using a chaulk line I set him up using an angle drill which had a spiral (arger) wood bit. Simple right? No !
He came back 30mins later with one trouser leg ripped clean off, silly fool had a phone call and instead of finishing up with the drill he rushed to answer his phone while still holding the drill anyway he knocked the trigger started the drill up while it was hanging next to his leg, his trousers got caught in the drill bit and tore them off. Could have been serious, could have lost a leg or ripped his muscle or tendons out.

Maybe its just the people my old boss used to employe, but it puts me off getting one myself and I could do with a hand.
Probably get an optimistic icon, but insist if you offer them employment (youngsters that is) that you take their Cell phone away whilst they are being paid by you, sure give it back at lunch time, but whilst working is a big no no in my book, tin hat is on firmly fixed.

Reply to Apprenticesxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock