Discuss Approaching potential employers. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

nicebutdim

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not looking for a job - well I am and would welcome any offers, but that's not the purpose of this thread. What I need at the moment is advice about what sort of approach is most likely to be well received by potential employers.

I might have the opportunity to start a full apprenticeship this year (covid and course space permitting) and need to find someone to take me on in some, way shape or form.

For the first year, I don't need to be working in the trade full time and the college have no issue with me being self-employed, which means that small operations wouldn't have the burden of taking me onto their books - ie. no burden of sick pay, holiday pay etc, but just pay me for hours worked and I take care of the rest.

What I have no idea about is how to approach local electricians. I've drawn up a list, but hope that some of you can advise on the best way to tackle this, without either hassling busy people or making approaches that go unnoticed. 25 years of ploughing my own furrow have left me with no concept whatsoever about how the labour market works - all I know is that it took several years to get to this stage and I don't want to miss out (if the opportunity does arise for September). Another option is offering to work FOC, but that would limit available hours as I'd still need to make money elsewhere.

Not looking for a job - well I am and would welcome any offers, but that's not the purpose of this thread. What I need at the moment is advice about what sort of approach is most likely to be well received by potential employers.

I might have the opportunity to start a full apprenticeship this year (covid and course space permitting) and need to find someone to take me on in some, way shape or form.

For the first year, I don't need to be working in the trade full time and the college have no issue with me being self-employed, which means that small operations wouldn't have the burden of taking me onto their books - ie. no burden of sick pay, holiday pay etc, but just pay me for hours worked and I take care of the rest.

What I have no idea about is how to approach local electricians. I've drawn up a list, but hope that some of you can advise on the best way to tackle this, without either hassling busy people or making approaches that go unnoticed. 25 years of ploughing my own furrow have left me with no concept whatsoever about how the labour market works - all I know is that it took several years to get to this stage and I don't want to miss out (if the opportunity does arise for September). Another option is offering to work FOC, but that would limit available hours as I'd still need to make money elsewhere.
Don't offer to work for free even if it's starting off I would always value myself at more than that. Where abouts are you? And where are you doing the course? I can remember a couple.of companies a few years ago when I did my time having mature apprentices and they got on better than younger ones as they knew they had to make it work and learnt far better and quicker.

Never offer to work FOC , it completely devalues your skill set

No offence to the OP but what skill set? as a potential employer I would say he would offer help in carrying things but most all other activities he would have to be heavily supervised which would slow me down so that would negate the above benefit.

You have to think if your going to approach a small electrical business then for them every out going must be justified by generating revenue, now eventually obviously as he can become trusted to do things on his own that will be work that he will be completing which will be providing revenue to the business and so totally he should then get paid.

I think in the current climate I would not say so much working FOC more looking to gain experience and in exchange for the time spent by the person or business then he would contribute where he can such as carrying stuff.

Once you have that first hurdle of the first few months or so of experience then you will find it much easier to find work. I get a number of emails from people looking to start in the electrical industry but often they have absolutely no experience, I could spend lots of my time which would cost me money even if someone worked FOC, and then after a few months they could decide its not for them.

No offence to the OP but what skill set? as a potential employer I would say he would offer help in carrying things but most all other activities he would have to be heavily supervised which would slow me down so that would negate the above benefit.

You have to think if your going to approach a small electrical business then for them every out going must be justified by generating revenue, now eventually obviously as he can become trusted to do things on his own that will be work that he will be completing which will be providing revenue to the business and so totally he should then get paid.

I think in the current climate I would not say so much working FOC more looking to gain experience and in exchange for the time spent by the person or business then he would contribute where he can such as carrying stuff.

Once you have that first hurdle of the first few months or so of experience then you will find it much easier to find work. I get a number of emails from people looking to start in the electrical industry but often they have absolutely no experience, I could spend lots of my time which would cost me money even if someone worked FOC, and then after a few months they could decide its not for them.

No offence taken.

I'd like to think thay I'd be hitting the ground around mate level, but knowledge and experience have been based on domestic work. As I'm hoping to start an apprenticeship, I don't expect to be offered the going rate as a mate and would like to think any wage would be justified within a short space of time. Have own tools and transport - at least a basic level of knowledge and the sort of drive that comes with age and commitments.

I'm not looking for a free ride, but an opportunity to learn and train. This is a two way street and I fully expect to uphold my end of the deal. Businesses exist to make money and, at the same time as gaining experience, I'd like to think any business will profit from the hours I work.

The question I'm aking is what sort of approach you guys would most likely respond favourably to?

Don't offer to work for free even if it's starting off I would always value myself at more than that. Where abouts are you? And where are you doing the course? I can remember a couple.of companies a few years ago when I did my time having mature apprentices and they got on better than younger ones as they knew they had to make it work and learnt far better and quicker.

It would be one of SERC's campuses as I believe they're the only college that offers this option to mature learners. Nothing is written in stone yet, so need to get all ducks in a row to have the best possible opportunity of getting a place. Been trying to make this happen for three years and was stunned to learn that a full apprenticeship might be possible - very nervous about missing out and having to let another year slip by.

For work I'd travel reasonable distances, but based in Portadown.

Look in Yellow pages or whatever is the equivalent in Ireland for electrical contractors in your area, give them a call and ask if you can come in and talk to them face to face, better that a CV sent cold as face to face they will listen to you and what experience you have, having cross corresponded with you on here a few times its obvious that you are not a Ab initio that will take a lot of inducting, if you can demonstrate that it will go a long way to make you a valued employee, but still expect to get the coffee in the morning. ?

Shame you weren't local to me, I could have probably fixed you up with a couple of the contractors who work for me. They would welcome some help from a hardworking, genuinely interested trainee.

My advice would be, to be up front, honest and don't expect the earth when working as a trainee. I'm sure there will be many small firms who would welcome you, if you can get off on the right footing.

Good luck, keep us posted on how it goes and your experiences!

Look in Yellow pages or whatever is the equivalent in Ireland for electrical contractors in your area, give them a call and ask if you can come in and talk to them face to face, better that a CV sent cold as face to face they will listen to you and what experience you have, having cross corresponded with you on here a few times its obvious that you are not a Ab initio that will take a lot of inducting, if you can demonstrate that it will go a long way to make you a valued employee, but still expect to get the coffee in the morning. ?

I've no expectations of special treatment and just want to get on with learning, after waiting so long for the opportunity to train - obviously this is all subject to getting that elusive place in college.

The big issue I struggled with is knowing how to approach people in a manner likely to yield results. Having spent nealy 25 years working for myself, I know well how annoying it can be when people want to take up valuable time and how easy it is to dismiss calls, letters or emails.

I've no expectations of special treatment and just want to get on with learning, after waiting so long for the opportunity to train - obviously this is all subject to getting that elusive place in college.

The big issue I struggled with is knowing how to approach people in a manner likely to yield results. Having spent nealy 25 years working for myself, I know well how annoying it can be when people want to take up valuable time and how easy it is to dismiss calls, letters or emails.

the advantage you have right now is that trades are super busy , and will probably welcome some extra Labour. It’s a good time to be offering your services …

my brother in law is a gardener / landscaper and has taken on 3 school leavers for summer work labouring for him on min wage

he is so busy he could probably use more Labour right now but has instead ramped his prices up to try and slow the inflow of new jobs

My advice would be, to be up front, honest and don't expect the earth when working as a trainee. I'm sure there will be many small firms who would welcome you, if you can get off on the right footing.

Good luck, keep us posted on how it goes and your experiences!

In the first year I don't need to be full time, which would allow me to supplement the likely low wage. For this reason, I figured small operations might provide opportunites that wouldn't be available to younger apprentices - ready to work when needed, but not a drain on finances. It would be ideal to get 2-3 days each week for the first year and hopefully that first year might prove the value of an extra set of hands. I've managed 25 years without sick pay or holiday pay, so more than happy to work ad hoc and lighten the load for any potential employer. I just need to get experience with someone who can confirm to the college that I'm doing what needs to be done.

Need to get my nose back to the grindstone, but will check in later and most certainly will update any progress.

the advantage you have right now is that trades are super busy , and will probably welcome some extra Labour. It’s a good time to be offering your
Agreed. It is a good time. Can't give you any advice on how to approach employers as its that long since I did it myself. What I can say is that from your posts.. your level of interest, drive and capability are evident. I did ring a company I work with just now (in Portavogie, near you?) but they are not taking on apprentices due to concentrating on sub contracting. But its not something I would have done if I did, nt have confidence in you

No offence taken.

I'd like to think thay I'd be hitting the ground around mate level, but knowledge and experience have been based on domestic work. As I'm hoping to start an apprenticeship, I don't expect to be offered the going rate as a mate and would like to think any wage would be justified within a short space of time. Have own tools and transport - at least a basic level of knowledge and the sort of drive that comes with age and commitments.

I'm not looking for a free ride, but an opportunity to learn and train. This is a two way street and I fully expect to uphold my end of the deal. Businesses exist to make money and, at the same time as gaining experience, I'd like to think any business will profit from the hours I work.

The question I'm aking is what sort of approach you guys would most likely respond favourably to?
Face to Face and be completely honest about your intentions and aspirations, don't bull s--t it never pays, and lying will find you out in the long term

Agreed. It is a good time. Can't give you any advice on how to approach employers as its that long since I did it myself. What I can say is that from your posts.. your level of interest, drive and capability are evident. I did ring a company I work with just now (in Portavogie, near you?) but they are not taking on apprentices due to concentrating on sub contracting. But its not something I would have done if I did, nt have confidence in you

Appreciate the comments.

Bit long in the tooth for bull. I've always worked on the assumption that it's better to slightly downplay one's abilities, rather than overestate them.
I remember when went for interview as a third year apprentice, one of the company directors asked me what experience I had, went through the Q&A told him had done quite a bit of MICC work, anyway got the job. Guess what they had me doing, making off all the MICC terminations in a office block.

The moral of the story they tested me out, and they were very happy with my work. So tell them everthing you can do dont play it down.

Reply to Approaching potential employers. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net