Discuss Approved jib registration....... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gethyn Turnbull

Hello fellow sparks, New to this forum and this is my first question... sorry if im in wrong category.. Anyways this my story . Ive got my C&G levels 1,2,3. 17th edition , Inspection & Testing 2391. 2399 Solar. Ive been registered with NAPIT for over three years and I have been inspected 3 times . I own my own company and I was looking at getting my JIB approved Card (The Goldy) When I applied for this they told me I needed a NVQ Level 3. But the only way of doing this is to be employed by someone to over your work!!! Is there a way of getting round this without having a NVQ L 3. I don't really want to go back to college cause that means more money and time off work that means loss of earnings too.. getting expensive then. Surely one of you have been in the same boat as me .....?? Thanks everyone for taking time to read this and sensible answers will be appreciated.

you dont need to be a employee to complete the nvq , self employed and sub contractor guys can do it as well.

just complete the portfolio skills tasks one by one and take photos and get whoever is around to sign saying you've done it , an assessor will come round now and again to check on your progess anyway.

nvq 3 isn't available as a stand alone qualification anymore. you'd have to do the 2357 diploma.

with regards to getting your work signed off by a supervisor - you might (and i repeat, might) be able to get it signed off by the person ordering the work - even if he's not a spark.

don't take this advice as gospel. i'm just repeating something that i remember my nvq tutor saying years ago. my memory of what he said might be a bit hazy, but it's worth enquiring about if you sign up for the 2357. good luck.

edit: biff - you're too fast for me mate!

Last edited by a moderator:
As above really but even when you get your NVQ 3, and apply for the jib card, you will only be awarded the "electrician" status. Still a gold card though. Then when youve had that for over two years, you can apply for your "approved" status. At least that is what they told me. I have nvq 3, 2391, 2330 lvl3, 2382 and Elecsa registered and I have the gold card with grade of "electrician". Another 2 years and I can apply for the "approved" status.

Jay

Thanks for swift replys, all I wanted it for if things did go a bit quiet its always a backup....ie getting on building sites etc . Looking at the online portfolio way and it looks like a absolute mission with then again signatures of supervisors signing work off. (shagbite) I don't think it looks good as a customer to sign work off as it may look like im not competent to be carrying out electrical installations . Is there a way as being assessed by Napit (3 times ) of them over seeing the nvq Level 3?? Ps how much does the 2357 cost , time fame ??

If you have the 2330 lvl 3 you can do the 2357 nvq but will have to complete a unit at collage about a week off work I believe the unit is 302. As for not been able to do it due to been self employed there are always ways around. Maybe a elecrical based friend owes you a favour.

Doing the nvq at your skill level will require alot of self motivation to push yourself on and do the write-ups so you need to be sure you want it

If you have the 2330 lvl 3 you can do the 2357 nvq but will have to complete a unit at collage about a week off work I believe the unit is 302. As for not been able to do it due to been self employed there are always ways around. Maybe a elecrical based friend owes you a favour.

Doing the nvq at your skill level will require alot of self motivation to push yourself on and do the right-ups so you need to be sure you want it

Yes, it is alot of hard work. I had to take over 700 pictures of different stuff, and I had to be in them all. I spent 3/4 hours a night righting up my portfolio. If you really want the card and you have all the different variaties of work you need, then go for it.

Jay

mine was college so they do check, these private company just want your money, and don't even check to see if you can finish the nvq 3 with what work you do

mine was college so they do check, these private company just want your money, and don't even check to see if you can finish the nvq 3 with what work you do

Mine was very thorough, they made sure I would be doing domestic, commercial and industrial and that I could cover all the units at least three times.

Thanks for swift replys, all I wanted it for if things did go a bit quiet its always a backup....ie getting on building sites etc . Looking at the online portfolio way and it looks like a absolute mission with then again signatures of supervisors signing work off. (shagbite)
I don't think it looks good as a customer to sign work off as it may look like im not competent to be carrying out electrical installations .
Is there a way as being assessed by Napit (3 times ) of them over seeing the nvq Level 3?? Ps how much does the 2357 cost , time fame ??

yeah, i agree. i wouldn't want to ask the customer to sign something confirming my works up to scratch. but like the other blokes have said; just get a colleague/mate to sign off your evidence.

i'm not signed up with any of the part p schemes, so i'm not really qualified to speak about napit and what they're prepared to do for their customers. but if i were to hazard a guess, i'd say they wouldn't be willing to help you out with your nvq.

Reply to Approved jib registration....... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net