Discuss Arc damage metal socket front in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That's a fair distance from the socket outlet contacts. Could be possible I suppose if something is unplugged while under load as mentioned above, but would take some doing.

Try replicating it and see what happens. Not on your best metal sockets though!

That's an interesting one. I can't believe it's some kind of flash-over arc from unplugging a max 13A load, unless the socket is wired up from the wrong side of a 11kV transformer :)

Could it be someone messing about with a piezo gas igniter?

Or nothing to do with electricity: just local failure of the plating on a rubbish scrap-iron back-plate with included impurities? Is it always seen on the edge, where the metal is cut and the plating probably thinner on the right angle? Plating failure can easily be started by contamination with alkaline plasters, grout, etc on installation.

Although I agree it does look like an electrical arc, like it's been touched by a live core, by some electrical maintenance hero working live, because he couldn't be arsed to go downstairs to switch off. But that could never happen! :)

Edit: Is there an induction hob in front? I wonder if it's possible for eddy currents to arc from a cooking vessel to an earthed metal plate in near contact?

Edit 2: The more I look at it I think it's chemical corrosion. Maybe some exotic electro-chemical process, but nothing to do with our sort of mains ac.

Last edited:
You sometimes see arc damage where people have used a plug to wedge bare flex ends in, or the top fuse clip has overheated and melted through the plastic, or a cord grip screw has bitten into the cable and become live, etc. But at the edge of the faceplate it must have been a damaged flex as it's so far away from the plug.

E2A I didn't see the actual arc damage at first, I was looking at the scuff near the left hand earth contact. Now I see it top right, definitely a power arc.

Last edited:
I reckon a plug in low voltage adapter with the cable coming out vertically from the top has suffered a failure around the stress relief gland and there has been a short-lived low voltage high amperage short circuit plasma event in the vicinity of the damage on the face plate. The damage on the faceplate is from plasma splatter.

Reply to Arc damage metal socket front in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock