Discuss Are CE and electrical type stickers a legal requirment. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

volta

A customer wanted about 40 arcade gaming machines testing none of which had been tested before even though many were well over 10 years old. None were marked up with CE or electrical type markings of any kind but were in fact class one earthed and all had IEC leads. It soon became clear that many were going to fail the earth bond test due mainly to lack of maintenance such as loose internal earth bonding, but many had no earth wires attached to external metal surfaces at all.
My question is. Should the machines carry a CE and electrical type sticker to comply with regulations.

I am certain the the CE mark is now required for all European sold new items, however it was probably not required at the time the machines were made.
The voltage / current / wattage information is now required on all new electrical items sold, however I do not know when this was introduced.

As they do not have markings at present then they would not now need to be marked unless they were re-engineered and sold as new.

Does the external metal require earthing?? is it suitably isolated from the incoming supply and im under the assumption that unless it is evident earthing is missing and should be their it may be the case that the control system would be SELV or similar. but don't quote me on that.

Some cases were metal some were MDF or a mix of the two. Some had earth wires to external metal and some similar machines had non. With no electrical markings it was difficult to know just what was inside. The maintenance guy opened up the three I failed and I advised him to attach earth wires to metal cases and external metal surfaces as part of a maintenance programme. Surprisingly they pack allot of electronics into these gaming machines when compared to something like an LCD TV. I guess SELV could be used on some, but which ones?

Reply to Are CE and electrical type stickers a legal requirment. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock