Discuss Are Digital Laser Measures as good as the internet makes them out to me? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all, recently I was installing some new downlights in a large kitchen, and trying to measure the room width/length alone was a nightmare with a tape measure so I did some research on laser distance measures and they seem to be a good way to go.

Has anyone ever owned one and are they as good as the internet seems to make out?

This is the one I'm thinking of getting due to the Bluetooth connection and better display for daylight:
Bosch PLR 50 C Digital Laser Measure (Measuring up to 50 m): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UN62Y1O?ref=emc_b_5_t

I own the Bosch GLM50C and it's a god send. I've tried the app for the Blutetooth link up on my iPad and whilst it's good, it's a bit fiddly and time consuming so I normally just measure and sketch.

Handy for volume calcs too.

But, for on the job use, I generally just revert to the old faithful tape measure :)

Jamchiv you keep turning up like a 'good' penny. Are you too busy for us all?
I've yet to invest as I have got away with the tape measure in 3 different lengths giving different strength of tapes.
The Bosch range are on my radar. Good prices if you don't lose it.

I own the Bosch GLM50C and it's a god send. I've tried the app for the Blutetooth link up on my iPad and whilst it's good, it's a bit fiddly and time consuming so I normally just measure and sketch.

Handy for volume calcs too.

But, for on the job use, I generally just revert to the old faithful tape measure :)

Thanks for the review and do they work well in the daytime?

Jamchiv you keep turning up like a 'good' penny. Are you too busy for us all?
I've yet to invest as I have got away with the tape measure in 3 different lengths giving different strength of tapes.
The Bosch range are on my radar. Good prices if you don't lose it.

I hop on here a few times a week to see what's going on when I'm not busy :)

Do they work well in the day... I don't do much quoting at night ;)

Yes, it's clearly visible... can't say for bright sunshine, it's been lacking recently, but I've not had any problems spotting where I'm measuring.

My god. They're actually units of measurement.
How do you go about measuring a horse? How many hands in a cubit?
4.5 hands to a cubit. ( 1 cubit is elbow to fingertips).

The cubit is an ancient unit based on the forearm length from the middle finger tip to the elbow bottom.

from wikepedia...

Reply to Are Digital Laser Measures as good as the internet makes them out to me? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net