Discuss Are employers spying on employees using Simpro software in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,Richie here. I've been an electrician 20 years. Recently in the last few years software called simpro became available to us. With some positive results it also has some negative. Are employers using it inappropriately by knowing the whereabouts of workers long after they have finished their shifts. For example : the employee getting a call when at home on a day off or after a shift and the employer stating that they know the employee is home because they can track the movements and any updates by using simpro. Company phone, IPad, laptop etc...Have we accepted this or is it a violation of privacy. Would like to hear some feedback from you guys out there.

Tracking vehicles and workforce is pretty standard stuff these days is it not? Can be used to save overheads by sending nearest man, also handy if vehicle is stolen.

I suspect for company-supplied equipment on company time they can pretty much do as they like provided the related policies are down clearly in writing and communicated to the employees. But in that case after hours you just switch the stuff off :)

It is more of a grey area for employer stuff installed on your own phone, etc. At the place I used to work some folk had access to medical data, personal information, etc, and so introduced a policy of all phones accessing company stuff had to have remote-wipe installed under their control.

Needless to say many folk were not happy at the prospect of personal stuff[*] being wiped by mistake, etc! In that case many folk simply opted not to use their phones/iPad/etc for company work and I think some were issues with company equipment as a result. Nobody got too arsey about it, but it was an area that both sides have a valid point and need to accept the other's rights and obligations.

[*] = Sadly many folk do not back up their phones even when told to repeatedly and given the opportunity to do so. I speak from experiance of my sister who is a very smart and capable individual but, somehow, just never found the time... Until her phone was stolen and lost over 6 months of family photos as a result :(

I suppose if it belongs to the company then they have the right to track it, but I wouldn't like the idea of the remote access options for cameras and microphones available these days, it leaves the option for certain types of employers or staff to spy on other staff members. As has been said already, best to switch them off when not on company time.

A Company doesn't need Simpro to track your movements.
If you're not signed in at work, or out in a van tracked then you're most likely at home.

The loss of privacy is caused by the employee answering the phone.
Unless you hold a key position and are required to answer, then don't if you're concerned about it.

Putting items in a container is pointless, they know exactly where it was just before it went in the container.
So if the tracking disappeared at your home, that's where the phone is.
It doesn't mean you are there though.

Last edited:
Actually even if your phone or other device is off it could still actually be on for monitoring purposes.

A Company doesn't need Simpro to track your movements.
If you're not signed in at work, or out in a van tracked then you're most likely at home.

Unless you hold a key position and are required to answer, then don't if you're concerned about it.

Putting items in a container is pointless, they know exactly where it was just before it went in the container.
So if the tracking disappeared at your home, that's where the phone is.
It doesn't mean you are there though.
House it as soon as you finish work wherever that is. DOH

While not related to a sparky job, I know of some companies that have a dedicated phone for out of hours customer support that gets passed round folk to take a turn at being available in case support is needed. However, if you accept a turn (so have to be sober, etc) you do get paid an over-time style of allowance for it.

Otherwise when you get home stick the work phone on a charger for the next day that happens to be out of ear's reach...

Tracked Van's etc are normal. I turn off company phone as soon as I am home. My employer knows this as it was previously being abused taking phone calls from company customers at night and it is fine.

Reply to Are employers spying on employees using Simpro software in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net