Discuss Are LED floodlights all they’re cracked up to be , are they cost effective in the long long run ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Not quite convinced about Led flood lights , installed some about 5 year ago , let’s say 5* 120 W , rough cost £700 at that time , replaced them today at a cost of £500 roughly (price of fittings only) the lights tam light CEF specials not my choice , they don’t really seem maintable , yes drivers can be replaced , but should they pack up , the leds them selfs are they replaceable ?
I didn’t get chance to investigate wether it was driver or Led , was just instructed to install new fittings
These lights aren’t on all night they are controlled by pir , in a yard that is not occupied for most of the dark hours
I would expect them to last longer than this
Presume this technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last 5 year
Thoughts please

Not quite convinced about Led flood lights , installed some about 5 year ago , let’s say 5* 120 W , rough cost £700 at that time , replaced them today at a cost of £500 roughly (price of fittings only) the lights tam light CEF specials not my choice , they don’t really seem maintable , yes drivers can be replaced , but should they pack up , the leds them selfs are they replaceable ?
I didn’t get chance to investigate wether it was driver or Led , was just instructed to install new fittings
These lights aren’t on all night they are controlled by pir , in a yard that is not occupied for most of the dark hours
I would expect them to last longer than this
Presume this technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last 5 year
Thoughts please
Forgot to add , think the light they give out is great

All we fit now is LED lighting the current project we are on the lighting is over £100,000 ( it does have daylight dimming pir's etc)makes you wonder if it will pay for itself. When we have had a fitting not working it has always been the driver.

All we fit now is LED lighting the current project we are on the lighting is over £100,000 ( it does have daylight dimming pir's etc)makes you wonder if it will pay for itself. When we have had a fitting not working it has always been the driver.
Makes you wonder about these 3yr warranty’s etc , does any one take them back 3 year later , most big companies will probably not keep receipts / invoices , or even try to look for them 3year down the line , and if they did , hire cherry picker , take fitting down and wait possibly weeks for a replacement ????

Leds are reliable, few duff drivers can happen, but it's generally only a few on jobs that have 1000s of them.

Hardly ever seen problems with the strips or panels themselves, if there is it's usually a manufacturing fault. Once its running, it normally stays good.

Led is the obvious choice these days.

Installed 9 BG 50W floods for a carpark less than 2 years ago, thought at last i will not have to get access platforms out every year to replace lamps. They are on dusk til dawn so used alot but well within 50000 hrs, anyway all have failed and had to replace them again , this time with Osrams. I think they are great for electricity usage but not a slam dunk for overall cost savings when they fail to quickly

Installed 9 BG 50W floods for a carpark less than 2 years ago, thought at last i will not have to get access platforms out every year to replace lamps. They are on dusk til dawn so used alot but well within 50000 hrs, anyway all have failed and had to replace them again , this time with Osrams. I think they are great for electricity usage but not a slam dunk for overall cost savings when they fail to quickly
Seems the so called cheaper ones aren’t lasting , we are tied to CEF and just use these tamlight ones they supply , which build wise seem quite good (sure they will supply us any manafacture at a cost££££)
Would like to know which fittings are best value for money and longest hour rating on life time

Did you find out what component failed?. This is a terrible failure rate the trouble you sell this to your clients that it will save them money and two years later all fail makes you look bad.

Under HMRC guidelines you should keep all business paperwork for 7 years, so yes you should have the invoices from the suppliers..
I remembered that after I pushed send even if in this case BG replace them FOC there is always the argument on who should pay for the labour cost of refitting inc access.

Did you find out what component failed?. This is a terrible failure rate the trouble you sell this to your clients that it will save them money and two years later all fail makes you look bad.
My point exactly , some of these cheap versions aren’t maintainable like existing flood lights (not LED ) quite a lot Are cheap and Nasty Chinese imports , re packaged to look great

I remembered that after I pushed send even if in this case BG replace them FOC there is always the argument on who should pay for the labour cost of refitting inc access.
For us we have to access these light out of hours because they are in car parks or on walk ways etc, cherry picker hire , premium rates , supervision , so cost wise job has to be complete that day or it’s a return visit
Can you now walk into a wholesalers and buy drivers and leds off the shelf to repair these fitting , I very much doubt

In the first year I always provide the labour FOC

For warranty repalcements after the first year, I charge for my labour and the product is replaced by the supplier.

Reply to Are LED floodlights all they’re cracked up to be , are they cost effective in the long long run ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net