Discuss Are lorry drivers (or lack of) having an effect on any of your regular supplies? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You can't continually blame Brexit which happened over 20 months ago as the prime cause.
Sorry to tell you this but Brexit did not "happen" 20 months ago.

The UK officially left the EU on 31 December 2020 (9 months ago) and even then employers did not have to check their status under the EU Settlement Scheme until 30 June 2021.

Brexit still has not happened for the folks of NI in its entirety, and that s***-show is going to run easily until 2023.
The upturn after the pandemic shut down is responsible for a lot problem where drivers have moved into other jobs and industries when a lot of shops and suppliers were closed during the lockdowns

Your comment shows how little you know about the transport industry, there are a lot of things that money can't and won't fix and I suspect the UK driver shortage is one of them
I fully accept I know only a little here and you clearly have more experience than me, and I never said that Brexit was the only cause, but I find it very hard to believe that the loss of over 20,000 EU drivers is not contributing to the problem.

I think that’s when things will get interesting. Will those 900k fill the gap when they come off furlough? I suspect not. Can’t see them filling all the HGV places, production line spaces, harvesting spaces, service industry spaces. Trades and building will also be interesting. Previous governments push to get all and sundry qualified in meaningless degrees rather than providing decent apprenticeships has left a big gap in home grown trades skills.
This is a key point and applies to the above. Many of those unemployed (or soon to be) simply do not have the skills/qualifications to do a lot of the in-demand jobs as they stand.

I see in the news tonight that the government has decided to shorten HGV driver testing process by combining some tests, but even assuming they get enough applicants it will still take 2 years to fill the shortages.

This sad story is not over yet :(

The UK officially left the EU on 31 December 2020 (9 months ago) and even then employers did not have to check their status under the EU Settlement Scheme until 30 June 2021.

The UK oficially left the EU on 31st December 2019, with an agreed transition period running until 31st December 2020.

NI is NI - a place where nothing ever runs smoothly, for better or worse.

The UK oficially left the EU on 31st December 2019, with an agreed transition period running until 31st December 2020.
Strictly speaking it was 31st Jan 2020 for European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020 taking effect, but for most it was end-2020 that kicked off meaningful changes.
NI is NI - a place where nothing ever runs smoothly, for better or worse.
Very, very true.

Strictly speaking it was 31st Jan 2020 for European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020 taking effect, but for most it was end-2020 that kicked off meaningful changes.

Very, very true.
Border controls have still not been fully implemented yet. New restrictions to be implemented on 1st Oct are likely to cause more disruption.

Sorry to tell you this but Brexit did not "happen" 20 months ago.

Brexit still has not happened for the folks of NI in its entirety, and that s***-show is going to run easily until 2023.

I fully accept I know only a little here and you clearly have more experience than me, and I never said that Brexit was the only cause, but I find it very hard to believe that the loss of over 20,000 EU drivers is not contributing to the problem.

This is a key point and applies to the above. Many of those unemployed (or soon to be) simply do not have the skills/qualifications to do a lot of the in-demand jobs as they stand.

I see in the news tonight that the government has decided to shorten HGV driver testing process by combining some tests, but even assuming they get enough applicants it will still take 2 years to fill the shortages.

This sad story is not over yet :(

I’m sure they could manage fruit picking or working in hospitality doing something useful. Both of which would only require a very small amount of training. The fact is it’s easier to sit at home and claim 80% earnings from a job that effectively no longer exists.

Well, if the country runs out of politicians, there’s plenty on this forum that could step up….

Ive just all read 5 pages, and hardly any answer the question of the thread title.

More “why is there a lack of lorry driver” than “is the lack of lorry drivers having an effect…”

Ive just all read 5 pages, and hardly any answer the question of the thread title.
Well I can sort-of say "yes" it has an impact.

I asked a couple of days ago for a quotation for BT-spec duct (40 * 6m rigid stuff 96mm diameter) and the company asked me to confirm the delivery post code, then told me they could not supply it.

Now they did not say why, and maybe they just didn't like the cut of my jib, but I strongly suspect it is the 6m length and number that would need a HGV-style vehicle to deliver that is a factor as none of thier lorries would be heading up here and they could not afford the time lost in return, etc.

I’ve just been into Tesco’s, and in the mealy dealy aisle there was no regular red coka cola. (and very little elsewhere in the shop compared with the zero sugar stuff)

I had to get a Dr Pepper.

And that’s how Tel knows how much electricity a home weed farm takes…..

?
Shhhhh! it's not too drastic with only a dozen pots.

might be OK next week. m-i-l is working on new potions since i got her some bat wings and eyes of snails.

I keep reading news, hearing on radio and seeing on telly that the lack of lorry drivers is having more and more of an impact on our daily lives and wont stop any time soon. I was wondering if any of you guys and gals have felt this with suppliers running out of anything you use regularly?

Heard anything through the grapevine?

Started to stock up on basic things you use often to help get around this over Christmas etc?
Yes

I had to wait a fortnight to get a decoiler from Walsall to Ireland. It was actually picked up in a van and delivered to Liverpool before being placed on a trailer

I'm also waiting on a SMC Rodless cylinder which is being held up by Parcel Force. It's already a week late

These issues have had an affect on production output

There in Spain you have front companies in Eastern Europe employing Eastern European drivers. These drivers then operate full time in the richer Western countries, while being paid Eastern Europe wages. Well in the UK now we have left your common market, the slave employers have been caught out. So yes you can get people from 26 countries, rather like Rome did with its slaves.

And no there is no huge shortage in the UK.
Irish cowboy ? outfits have registered themselves as Hungarian companies and pay tax in Hungary whilst driving in the UK and Ireland

Reply to Are lorry drivers (or lack of) having an effect on any of your regular supplies? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock