Discuss Are lorry drivers (or lack of) having an effect on any of your regular supplies? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Border controls have still not been fully implemented yet. New restrictions to be implemented on 1st Oct are likely to cause more disruption.

I very much doubt the NI brexit situation will ever be fully resolved - at least not in the manner one might expect. There are differing expectations on both sides of local politics, neither of which can be fully satisfied and neither of which can be ignored.

Political bluster from Westminister, Dublin and Brussels aside, I'm certain the underlying issues are recognised and that some accomodation will eventually be reached. Ideally it will be one that recognises the fact that soil from GB poses less risk to Irish biodiversity, than soil from the far side of Europe and that the NHS in NI needs to receive supplies of drugs from GB. Hopefully it will also recognise the fact that M&S pork pies will not cause the collapse of political union within Europe.

What should be remembered is that while the NI Protocol is a binding agreement between the UK & EU, and both sides are expected to uphold their obligations, it contains several clauses that legitimately allow either side to take unilateral actions - these can be modest, as we've already seen, but also (in certain circumstances) they allow for more drastic action.

Who knows where it will end up, but I'd wager it'll all be settled in a reasonable manner - whether or not some major rows erupt in the mean time is another matter entirely.

I very much doubt the NI brexit situation will ever be fully resolved - at least not in the manner one might expect.
Sadly I think you could say the same about most of NI's politics.

That is the key point, politics is about rules and one-upmanship. Practical and sensible arrangements are usually reserved for the lower larys in society. Like the engineers that actually make things work.

Had some d*ckhead today refuse to sell me a centrifugal pump unless I had a "mainland" UK address and EORI number.

I even offered to arrange my own collection

I'll just route my business through "mainland" Europe where I live, I have an XORI number

No problem.

Had some d*ckhead today refuse to sell me a centrifugal pump unless I had a "mainland" UK address and EORI number.

I'll just route my business through "mainland" Europe where I live, I have an XORI number

No problem.
Are you still in the same beautiful place in God's own country? :)

No problem.

Either EORI or 'XI' EORI should have been fine.

Must be in a great position when he can afford to turn away business.

No problem.
If you ever need a legitimate UK address and post code etc let me know. :)

Started to stock up on basic things you use often to help get around this over Christmas etc?
Best not to start a panic buying frenzy... look where the petrol rumours got us !

I know several factories that are trying to recruit semi skilled people for above minimum wage jobs.
most of them are saying, they can’t get people and the locals just don’t want to work.
We need to reduce the level of benefits to make working for a living viable again... I saw a programme on the TV a while ago about a single woman with kids complaining that she couldn't live on benefits (without actually telling us how much she got)... so I did my own research, filling in an on-line system called something like "what am I entitled to.com". I was astonished to see that to get the same level of net income, she'd need to have a job paying £37k per year. The TV programme didn't divulge any details on her skills... but assuming she was not skilled... there's no way she'll ever come off benefits to work in a factory !

Not sure we have the population to fill these gaps. Fair proportion of factory workers had to claim UC to top up wages. Wages will have to go up but even then I suspect there will be a short fall in labour. Government will have to relax the immigration rules, probably in line with EU border control rules which we chose not to implement back in 2004. Also likely we’ll do conditional trade arrangements with other countries around the world which will allow immigration to fill labour shortages. Here comes a period of big inflation. Boris and his mates don’t really want to see any dents in their profits or any real levelling up.

We need to reduce the level of benefits to make working for a living viable again... I saw a programme on the TV a while ago about a single woman with kids complaining that she couldn't live on benefits (without actually telling us how much she got)... so I did my own research, filling in an on-line system called something like "what am I entitled to.com". I was astonished to see that to get the same level of net income, she'd need to have a job paying £37k per year. The TV programme didn't divulge any details on her skills... but assuming she was not skilled... there's no way she'll ever come off benefits to work in a factory !

That's a huge task and I'm not sure if any government will accomplish it, short of us encountering a protracted period of severe economic depression. Just look at the stink kicked up when the £20 lift in UC came to an end and that was only a temporary measure. There seems to be an expectation that everyone is entitled to a significant amount of money and the private sector simply doesn't have broad enough shoulders to sustain this. I honestly don't know what the answer is.

That's a huge task and I'm not sure if any government will accomplish it, short of us encountering a protracted period of severe economic depression. Just look at the stink kicked up when the £20 lift in UC came to an end and that was only a temporary measure. There seems to be an expectation that everyone is entitled to a significant amount of money and the private sector simply doesn't have broad enough shoulders to sustain this. I honestly don't know what the answer is.

That's what annoys me - the media and labour keep going on about the 'nasty Tories' cutting universal credit, when it was always clear that it was a temporary increase. It's not a cut at all.

And don't forget, it's us hard workers that fund people on benefits. Obviously I know benefits are essential to some people, but don't we all know people who sponge off the state when they could easily be working? I know I certainly do.

Fair proportion of factory workers had to claim UC to top up wages.
You need to be careful quoting things like this as the claiming of UC is largely a game of playing the system. I've just worked out that if you work in a factory full-time... and get minimum wage with a little bit of overtime/shift allowance etc... you can take home £1,618 per month. I currently live off alot less than that.

The problem comes with if you have dependents (as they are a benefit multiplier) when you're able to claim far more in benefits than you'll earn from a factory job... hence the numbers from my previous post.

Yeah... I agree... the country is basically run my the media... which is predominantly left wing (the BBC being a prime example). So any effort to curtail the vast welfare state is met with severe, media induced frenzy. The Blair/Brown years introduced the 'entitlement culture' which is almost impossible for us to get out of. How do you tell someone that's had something for 20 years that they are now no longer entitled to it ??

Even things like the current panic buying frenzy of petrol/diesel is largely being billed by the media as a failure of government or a consequence of Brexit or a lack of tanker drivers... when in reality it's caused by the media banging on about a fuel supply crisis !! We still have the same fuel supply as we've had for years... and we still have the same fuel usage that we've had for years... the difference is that a load of selfish idiotic morons have decided that they need to keep their car filled to the brim... or fill up every single container they have with spare fuel !!

I currently live off alot less than that.

When figures are quoted for average wages, I suspect the self-employed are not included. I've had plently of times when earning minimum wage would have been like living the life of a millionaire and a huge number of self-employed often fall through the cracks (conveniently for both sides of the argument).

I've seen this a few times where work doesn't pay them enough to come off benefits they are on and they still claim they are living in poverty the other side of it is they don't have to waste any energy going to work and earning a days pay if they are on benefits
Not sure we have the population to fill these gaps. Fair proportion of factory workers had to claim UC to top up wages. Wages will have to go up but even then I suspect there will be a short fall in labour. Government will have to relax the immigration rules, probably in line with EU border control rules which we chose not to implement back in 2004. Also likely we’ll do conditional trade arrangements with other countries around the world which will allow immigration to fill labour shortages. Here comes a period of big inflation. Boris and his mates don’t really want to see any dents in their profits or any real levelling up.
I'm not sure a lot of European countries have enough people of working age to fill all their vacant jobs after listening to and reading various media reports

Reply to Are lorry drivers (or lack of) having an effect on any of your regular supplies? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock