Discuss Are lorry drivers (or lack of) having an effect on any of your regular supplies? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

From what I've seen all the numbers they have are not by their own admission that accurate. I remember a hospital programme a few years ago that highlighted health tourism 1 patient ran up a £600k bill and another £300k this hospital over the course of a month the total was pushing towards £2m that they knew of mainly because of the level of treatment needed creating large bills the guy chasing payments had a pile of paperwork but on his own was struggling to recover even a small fraction of what was owed
I think it's Hillingdon Hospital in West London that tops the bill for health tourism... being the closest hospital to Heathrow Airport. There was a documentary on a few years ago... it's normal practice for Nigerians (and others) to fly to the UK specifically for difficult childbirths... ones that would cost them money back in Nigeria.

They are well schooled in how the system works... the magic phrase is "I intend to make the UK my permanent home"... once uttered, it's all free !!

I watched one of those Emergency Hospital programmes the other week... there was a Chinese girl in A&E who was knocked off her bicycle I think. In broken English, she kept trying to tell the staff that she had insurance and they should look in her bag for it... but they all had genuine confusion as to why she was talking about insurance... to them it was an anathema ! It's all "free" in the UK !! Come in... everyone... enjoy a health service paid for by the hardworking tax payer !!

Labour haven’t been looking out for their supposed core voter (the labouring person), the normal working person, for decades now.
The problem for the Labour Party... is that their politics is based around the old class system of Working Class, Middle Class and Upper Class. But this is woefully out of date and doesn't really apply in the modern society. Whilst you could still divide up society into 'classes' if you wanted (though not sure why you'd want to), they are not the groups of old.

So which civil servants have a cushy life then Tel? All I see is under investment, antiquated IT systems, lack of staff and those that are left are trying to manage mpossible workloads made even worse by increased bureaucracy imposed by politicians due to the latest media outcry over the latest high profile public service cock up most likely caused by lack of resources. Still, work a 12 hr shirt in A&E sounds pretty cushy.
Yet another example of your personal prejudices clouding reality !!

There is MASSIVE financial investment in the state sector... the problem is that the monies are squandered.

Most government IT systems that I have the misfortune to use are very very poor... they will have been purchased at the highest price too !!

Most of the state sector (and that includes the NHS and all Quangos) are largely "job clubs".

It's true that politicians pander to the left wing media... and this needs to stop !!

That’s another example of personal prejudices. BBC is now government controlled and hardly mentions the word Brexit. The Sun, Express & Mail all peddle the right wing agenda and stir up Xenophobic hatred against Johnny foreigner coming over hear and stealing our jobs or anything that doesn’t hark back to the great days of the British Empire. Is it the public sectors fault that it is ripped off by the private sector? It’s one big gravy train done in collusion with those in control of the purse strings and their mates in the private sector.

The problem for the Labour Party... is that their politics is based around the old class system of Working Class, Middle Class and Upper Class. But this is woefully out of date and doesn't really apply in the modern society. Whilst you could still divide up society into 'classes' if you wanted (though not sure why you'd want to), they are not the groups of old.
Agree with that 100%?

That’s another example of personal prejudices. BBC is now government controlled and hardly mentions the word Brexit. The Sun, Express & Mail all peddle the right wing agenda and stir up Xenophobic hatred against Johnny foreigner coming over hear and stealing our jobs or anything that doesn’t hark back to the great days of the British Empire. Is it the public sectors fault that it is ripped off by the private sector? It’s one big gravy train done in collusion with those in control of the purse strings and their mates in the private sector.
the only goverment control of the BBC is forcing us to pay a licence fee for (some) things we don't want to watch. at least with sky, although a rip off, you only pay if you want it, and nobody forces you to pay.

BBC is now government controlled
I'm starting to think that you're just winding us all up !

The BBC is not controlled by the current government, by previous governments, maybe... it's stuff full of lefties !!! For example, until recently, James Purnell was the Director of Strategy... he's an ex Labour front bencher !! You really need to do more research before posting your political views...

The coverage of the Labour party conference was going back a bit in time with one delegate referring to blue and white collar workers

I think it's Hillingdon Hospital in West London that tops the bill for health tourism... being the closest hospital to Heathrow Airport. There was a documentary on a few years ago... it's normal practice for Nigerians (and others) to fly to the UK specifically for difficult childbirths... ones that would cost them money back in Nigeria.

They are well schooled in how the system works... the magic phrase is "I intend to make the UK my permanent home"... once uttered, it's all free !!

I watched one of those Emergency Hospital programmes the other week... there was a Chinese girl in A&E who was knocked off her bicycle I think. In broken English, she kept trying to tell the staff that she had insurance and they should look in her bag for it... but they all had genuine confusion as to why she was talking about insurance... to them it was an anathema ! It's all "free" in the UK !! Come in... everyone... enjoy a health service paid for by the hardworking tax payer !!
I understand that in 2019 the Tories stated that people on a work, study or family visa pay at £400 surcharge
I'm starting to think that you're just winding us all up !

The BBC is not controlled by the current government, by previous governments, maybe... it's stuff full of lefties !!! For example, until recently, James Purnell was the Director of Strategy... he's an ex Labour front bencher !! You really need to do more research before posting your political views...
Boris Johnson appoints £160k a year £400k Tory donor Richard Sharp as chairman. Funnily enough he used to be Rich Sunak's boss at Goldman Sachs. Also worked with Johnson when he was Mayor. Specifically appointed to overcome the BBC's perceived left wing bias. Robbie Gibb avowed Brexiteer with close ties to Conservatives appointed to BBC board. Tim Davie BBC DG appointed 2020 previously ran for the Tories in local elections. That's a few for starters!

True. Only that the current HGV crisis is down to Brexit. ?
Rubbish. It's down to pre-Brexit foreign migrant drivers prepared to work for minimum wage drove wages down below survival level for British drivers with families and mortgages, so they left to seek a decent wage. now the foreign drivers have largely gone back home, there's a shortage.

True. Only that the current HGV crisis is down to Brexit. ?
I think you need to change your information source
The UK has a large number of class 1 HGV licence holders who have licences that have lapsed as they left the industry when the wage rates were driven down to such uneconomic levels that they could earn more elsewhere

It’s ok….the temporary visas have been a success and there’s an army of foreign (or at least non-uk) drivers coming to save Christmas!

An army of….. um…… 137!

That’ll fix things. ?

sod it' i going out to shoot my own xmas dinner. 2 pheasants and a goose should do.

Best not to start a panic buying frenzy... look where the petrol rumours got us !
Even the Government have said here will be food shortages over Christmas mate.

You do you, I'll do me. :)

Got a family to feed here. I'll be stocking up every week from now till then. Worst case scenario I can't move around a room in my house for a few months in 2022 but barely need to shop for a few months too.

It’s ok….the temporary visas have been a success and there’s an army of foreign (or at least non-uk) drivers coming to save Christmas!

An army of….. um…… 137!

That’ll fix things. ?

137 have applied, claiming to be tanker drivers, that doesn't mean they've been approved or granted a Visa.
That would be subject to I.D confirmation, background checks, criminal record checks etc.

You could probably wipe out half the applicants.

Once they've got a Visa they've then got to be assessed by a fuel distribution company before being employed.
I'd expect they'd want proof of previous employment as a fuel tanker driver and evidence of driving a Right hand drive lorry in the U.K.

You can now wipe the rest of them out, they'll end up driving skip lorries.

If they were worth employing they wouldn't have to travel nearly 2000 miles through all the countries in the E.U with driver shortages just to get a job.

Rubbish. It's down to pre-Brexit foreign migrant drivers prepared to work for minimum wage drove wages down below survival level for British drivers with families and mortgages, so they left to seek a decent wage. now the foreign drivers have largely gone back home, there's a shortage.
So basically you’re saying that they’ve gone home due to Brexit! ?? QED.

Reply to Are lorry drivers (or lack of) having an effect on any of your regular supplies? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock