Discuss Are lorry drivers (or lack of) having an effect on any of your regular supplies? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mostly they’ve gone back due to covid and conditions and pay improving relative to the U.K. over the past decade or so
Yep, COVID acted like a catalyst to the labour effects of Brexit. Eastern Europe has been levelling up over the past few years. Will be interesting to see how the service sector copes now restaurants and bars are opening up. Lots of jobs going for chefs, waiters and bar staff.

The consumer will have to pay a little more (have restaurant food prices even gone up in the past 10-15 years?). It’s probably an example of a sector where prices have become unsustainably low due to a reliance on cheap labour.

People who are working full time should not be getting benefits. They should be getting paid a fair wage to live on. The taxpayer shouldn’t be subsidising low wages, just to enable people to eat out artificially cheaply.

View attachment 91018

Ireland is now looking towards Europe and less towards the UK for trade

Today a new terminal between Dunkirk and Ireland was opened

It makes sense that Ireland are expanding sea links with other EU member states, but the downside is delays during inclement weather and additional costs.

I reckon if Enda Kenny hadn't been nudged out of the way, there'd have been an agreement that was much more beneficial for both the UK and Ireland.

Much of the problem is down to the "Just in time" ethos which has some great advantages in reducing costs to manufacturers and is undeniably more efficient.

So, rather than Mega Manufacturing Corp having warehouses full of components they rely on suppliers delivering components direct to point and time of use; you often see lorries being unloaded directly onto a manufacturing line.

...and it cascades down, MMCs supplier will operate on a similar principle and so on and so forth...

However it is susceptible to to even very minor disruption, it is a house of cards on an unstable foundation and there is little or no buffer.

Brexit was manageable, and was being managed. What little buffer there was was enough to maintain the supply chains. Throw in Covid and it all goes ---- up.

This is not over, not even sure its fully begun in that the supply chains are still collapsing.

When that has finished there'll be some big decisions to make...

Have you heard the phrase "Build back better" 'They' know what is about to happen, the shortages that will ensue, the unrest it will generate and are taking steps to control this.

Power shortages.
Food shortages.
Fuel shortages.
Civil disorder.

I'm going long on flares and Choppers, it's going to be the 70s all over again.

Whilst the plebs are worrying about getting the latest Chinese plastic gonk in time for Christmas stock up on dried goods, candles and camping gas.

Don't have nightmares.

Shortages.

I’ve spent a good portion of this morning looking for Adblue, or whatever the non brand name for it is…. Diesel engine additive. Usually get it from Screwfix with any materials order, but they had nowt. Manager behind the counter said ALL of Screwfix was short… just what’s in branch stock. He said there was over a thousand 10 litre bottles due in, but not been delivered yet.
Tried the supermarkets and their garages… still none.
I ended up going into a car dealership and got some there.

I should have got it last week when the van first started shouting at me…. No… I’ll just wait until I’m down to a couple hundred miles on the countdown.

Me, living on the edge!

Also, while in Tesco’s, I perused their alcoholic beverage aisle and was surprised, nay, shocked to see the Baileys was on offer. £12 if you’ve got a club card, £20 without.
Guess what….. shelves were empty!

What am I going to get the wife now for Christmas?? ?

Reply to Are lorry drivers (or lack of) having an effect on any of your regular supplies? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock