Discuss Are RCBO's imperitive? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dru

I have done an installation in a building where twin and earth cables have been installed down block work walls and have been capped and boarded over.

Is it imperitive that I use RCBO's instead of standard MCB's on the power circuits as the customers doesn't want to pay the extra cost and would prefer to use standard ones due to not being able to find RCBO's for the board (I don't think they make them for that board)

i've told him it is necessary as the distribution board doesn't have an RCD as it is an old style Wylex board.

Is a full board change the only option as RCBO's are imperitive?

All help and advice appreciated

Have you room to fit an additional 2 way DB (17th ed) next to the original. Then you dont have to alter the existing circuits.

If you can't source an rcbo to fit the board, then just serve a standalone rcd off an existing appropriately sized breaker. Your work must comply.

Give your customer the various cost options all off which comply .... if you cant convince them then say you are sorry but cannot do the work and he will have to get a cowboy in who will happily take his money for a poor quality job that leaves his family at risk.

Tbh .... if you cant express the safety aspects provided by earth leakage device and change his mind you either have a deludedly stubborn customer or you need to practice more on your communication skills.... ive met many a similar customer but respond correctly and youll convince them. Never once had to refuse a job because the customer starts off with a stubborn attitude.

Well, one way or another those socket outlet circuits will need RCD protection. Are you talking about an old 3036 Wylex CU with retro fit MCB's?? If so you're correct they don't make RCBO's for those CU's So it's either Henley blocks and a sub board, or a CU change. To be honest, i can't see as there is going to be that much of a difference in costs, so for the sake of a few tens of £'s it makes far more sense to replace the existing CU, with the advantage of additional protection for the whole installation, and not just a couple of socket circuits.... As far as commonsense goes, it's a No-Brainer!! lol!!

Reply to Are RCBO's imperitive? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net