Discuss are smart phones going to be a problem? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andekoch

been thinking of late about all these smart phones around and how everyone has one. seems to me that in the not to distant future we will spend more time on the phone checkign emails that doing the job and customers will email randomly during the day about where they want this and that forcing us to constantly be checking the phone and emailing them for clarification on poorly worded emails.
sort of like has happened in the average office now to the extent that some companies are trying to work out how to limit email (and internet) usage.

i politely tell my customers that if something is urgent they need to call me on the phone and talk about it. email is not checked every day so emailed instructions are very likely to only be seem long after they are relevant and will incure extra cost to redo something.

I think smart phones good but only if used wisely and our tool not the customers tool. what do you guys think?

use my phone as a phone. it ain't smart. it don't do internet. i can't abide text crap. all it does is contact me with clients. smart phones don't find faults, can't wire anything. some can take lousy photos. waste of space.

They can be handy, but emails are ott,i was browsing at van insurance tonight and it actualy said most insurers will not insure you with out an e-mail address what a joke? its a little prejudice!

been thinking of late about all these smart phones around and how everyone has one. seems to me that in the not to distant future we will spend more time on the phone checkign emails that doing the job and customers will email randomly during the day about where they want this and that forcing us to constantly be checking the phone and emailing them for clarification on poorly worded emails.
sort of like has happened in the average office now to the extent that some companies are trying to work out how to limit email (and internet) usage.

i politely tell my customers that if something is urgent they need to call me on the phone and talk about it. email is not checked every day so emailed instructions are very likely to only be seem long after they are relevant and will incure extra cost to redo something.

I think smart phones good but only if used wisely and our tool not the customers tool. what do you guys think?

To be sure, they need to be justified - and used with discipline.

For myself, my business wouldn't function without one (this from a guy who didn't even have a radio pager in the day, and had to phone into the office every job to find out what was doing!).....but then I am as much sales and admin as I am on the tools - just the joys of being at a point where we cannot quite justify the extra staff needed to get me off the tools totally, to concentrate on the business, so I have to multi-task, and so does everything I use.

Phone doubles as "laptop"
Laptop doubles as evening entertainment
Car doubles as, no triples, no, quadruple - well, is office, home, tool store, stock room, etc., etc.,
Inverter charges everything from laptop to Bosch Hammer, and boils a travel kettle (oh damn yes).

Now, the killer thing for me is the advancement of voice control in the car to the point it can properly take an email dictation.

All that said, sometimes, I just wish these people would PHONE! I still remember how to control my vocal cords, and I don't need an operating manual for them.

FWIW, our guys are not limited on their internet/email use, but most of them are very good - and use them as we intended, pdfs for tech support, PHONE for talking to customers, tech support, and help, email for parts needed, job instructions - work specific tasks that need writing down.

Text messages, in my very humble opinion, are the tool of the (illiterate) devil. You text me, I phone you back and tell you what I think of your inability to type one word in English, use punctuation, or grammar, or vowels. Unless you're texting to say I just won the lottery.

Its a thing, I guess, you pays your money, and the phone companies spend it....seriously - you go with what works. For us, all the paper that would be running around, cost of post, and all that, makes it worth it to us to invest in digital - though we still do all callout sheets, maintenance sheets, certification recording and so forth manually on paper......to scan on arrival at the office!

We ran a question thing a while back and found that over 90% of our customers actually prefer stuff emailed to them than sent in the post. For us, the advantage is it is there now, not in three days, which means faster completion.....yet realistically, it hasn't decreased the time to payment for us by much...

As I say, on balance, its what works for you, not the crowd.

bill,

sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your electronic comms and how to use it. I keep a blackberry, from previous life. but find customers starting to take it for granted/ expecting that I will respond to emails instantly and dont phone especially annoying when the email relates to the work I am about to do in the next hour or so and inveriably it is a major change to the original spec.

I would appreciate a chat if you have the time to get your views on a few other bits of the smarter working.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
On mine right now on this forum
Use to get private and personal emails
If my phone goes off and I'm busy, I just ignore it and crack on, I don't let it slow me down or effect my working day, I answer it and reply when I have time.

Its helped me out alot having this phone and would of made things long winded if I didn't have it.
It's the the world we live in, use them to there full potential and make most of it.

I know an old chap who doesn't like them, but it's for all the wrong reasons, it's basically because he doesn't know how to use one or have the patience to learn.

Speaking as someone that had one of the original “Bricks”. I’ve had a mobile for over 25 years. The first one was used for phone calls, the latest one is used for phone calls! Sod the camera, txt, I-net and all the other rubbish. Bluetooth I’ll go to the dentist.
The only advantage of the new one is you don’t get a rupture picking it up!

I will add a caveat, a plant I worked on mobiles were forbidden for safety reasons but I always kept mine hidden in my pocket. The plant was 300’ ft high and I got stuck in the lift, so press the alarm button……nothing……..emergency phone direct to the control room……..nothing……..Mobile, thank god that worked!

I can definately see this happening, customers (and company gaffers) treating us like proper tools, random emails getting tapped out, and duly ignored or not noticed, then arguements/problems ensuing.....agencies emailing us during the day....angry phone calls for 3 minute old emails not responded to....people in suits in offices geting tea made by the 20 year old office girl, tapping away emails with any randomness that comes into their minds...:eek::rolleyes:

I use my smartphone all the time sometimes the accessiblity of it is annoying but sometimes it is a life saver the only thing I hate is the battery life I sometimes have to recharge mine twice a day!

As pointed out by Widdler, “do you have anything to add”.

Open the flood gates to information hell!

A phone is a phone, use it as such.
I’ve had a mobile for over 30 years, in that time I think I may have sent 50 TXT messages.

If ever you want an answer from me never / ever ask using SMS / TXT!

Reply to are smart phones going to be a problem? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net