Discuss Are surge protection devices fitted before or after the main switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Clearly 'tis the season to be grumpy!

How about you guys take a look at his profile and maybe go a little easier on him... it clearly states he's a trainee... just because someone doesn't have the trainee tag, doesn't mean they aren't.

@L1Jay1 , maybe consider signing up for the trainee section of the forums. You'll get a trainee tag so everyone can see you're training and you'll get access to a trainee only area which only trainees, staff and mentors can access so you can ask questions such as this without getting this kind of response.

To answer your question, they would generally be installed after the main switch. The ones in most domestic boards are installed as close to the main switch as possible, many are supplied via a circuit breaker (I've seen 32A for all the ones I've seen) but some, Hager I think, are connected straight to the main switch itself. But as @Strima says... what do the manufacturers instructions say?

Have a think about what the main switch does, and what it is for.
if you don’t know the answer, then maybe someone competent should be doing the work.
I’m simply asking the question
[automerge]1577085576[/automerge]

How about you guys take a look at his profile and maybe go a little easier on him... it clearly states he's a trainee... just because someone doesn't have the trainee tag, doesn't mean they aren't.

@L1Jay1 , maybe consider signing up for the trainee section of the forums. You'll get a trainee tag so everyone can see you're training and you'll get access to a trainee only area which only trainees, staff and mentors can access so you can ask questions such as this without getting this kind of response.

To answer your question, they would generally be installed after the main switch. The ones in most domestic boards are installed as close to the main switch as possible, many are supplied via a circuit breaker (I've seen 32A for all the ones I've seen) but some, Hager I think, are connected straight to the main switch itself. But as @Strima says... what do the manufacturers instructions say?
In the live boards the spd is before the main switch
[automerge]1577085641[/automerge]
What about putting it in the closet ?
What about putting you in the closet

The spd normally sits in parallel with the installation.
It should be capable of being isolated for maintenance purposes.

Hi - normally the main switch isolates all the equipment in the board, is that what you mean? :)
Sorry I meant a LVE board , I’ve seen a LVE board with surge protection already installed in it , the SPD is before the main switch in this board , this got me confused.
[automerge]1577089291[/automerge]

Sorry I meant LVE board , not live

Sorry I meant a LVE board , I’ve seen a LVE board with surge protection already installed in it , the SPD is before the main switch in this board , this got me confused.

Are surge protection devices fitted before or after the main switch 1577089783665 - EletriciansForums.net

This picture illustrates @DPG 's point perfectly. Physically it appears before if you're looking from right to left, but wiring wise it's most definitely after the main switch.

I was trying to think of a way of wording that @DPG, stupid hangover! ?

When you say the SPD is before the main switch, do you mean physical position or actual wiring order though?

View attachment 54815

This picture illustrates @DPG 's point perfectly. Physically it appears before if you're looking from right to left, but wiring wise it's most definitely after the main switch.
View attachment 54815

View attachment 54815

When you say the SPD is before the main switch, do you mean physical position or actual wiring order though?
in LVE , SPD is before main switch Are surge protection devices fitted before or after the main switch image - EletriciansForums.net

Have a think about what the main switch does, and what it is for.
if you don’t know the answer, then maybe someone competent should be doing the work.
[automerge]1577093974[/automerge]
View attachment 54815

In the LVE board it’s before main switch, I’m trying to understand this and the way it’s wired, it appears to be wired before the main switch aswell.Are surge protection devices fitted before or after the main switch image - EletriciansForums.net

@L1Jay1.....just an observation.....constructive criticism even.....but I think you may need a little work on merging posts....possibly maybe?.....??
But I think @DPG and @SparkyChick has nailed it for ya here...

in LVE , SPD is before main switch View attachment 54817

[automerge]1577093974[/automerge]

In the LVE board it’s before main switch, I’m trying to understand this and the way it’s wired, it appears to be wired before the main switch aswell.View attachment 54818
In that style of board the SPD is after the main switch. The meter tails terminate into the top of the main switch.

Ideally on an installation all consumer equipment should be after a main switch to allow for safe isolation. But if the supply was split before the main switch then the SPD would have to be before the switch as it is designed to protect the installation and not just the board..

With a lot of manufacturers if the main installation supply fuse (DNO) is below a certain rating there's no requirement for over-current protection for the SPD.

Refering to your LVE board , The incomming tails would terminate into the top of the main switch, so the SPD would be after the main switch.
Sorry I’ve looking at this in the wrong way , the SPD is after the main switch and is pre wired , no need for over current protection , think I’ve got that now
[automerge]1577099221[/automerge]
In that style of board the SPD is after the main switch. The meter tails terminate into the top of the main switch.

Ideally on an installation all consumer equipment should be after a main switch to allow for safe isolation. But if the supply was split before the main switch then the SPD would have to be before the switch as it is designed to protect the installation and not just the board..

With a lot of manufacturers if the main installation supply fuse (DNO) is below a certain rating there's no requirement for over-current protection for the SPD.
When SPD is after main switch and is pre wired , then the is no current flowing through it , am I correct .

Sorry I’ve looking at this in the wrong way , the SPD is after the main switch and is pre wired , no need for over current protection , think I’ve got that now
[automerge]1577099221[/automerge]

When SPD is after main switch and is pre wired , then the is no current flowing through it , am I correct .

Whether it needs over current protection is down to the manufacturer.

SPDs are typically metal oxide varistors... At mains voltage these are high resistance and consequently pass no to little current. As the voltage increases, there resistance drops and they conduct more current, dumping the spikes to earth. They may also has discharge arrestors (I think that's what they are called).

The same technology is present in surge arresting extensions which can cause low insulation resistance readings (tip... If an IR test is poor at 500v, if it's good at 250v, it's possibly a surge arrester in circuit).

In normal circumstances there is no current flowing through them. They only become active if transient voltages occur diverting them to earth before it can cause possible damage to equipment. In your pic an earth is required from the device to the consumer unit earth terminal.

Reply to Are surge protection devices fitted before or after the main switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock