Discuss Are there any autistic electricians here? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It's impossible to give advice not knowing how severe and what his problems are. If stress is a problem then domestic work is less appealing than commercial. If noise is a greater problem then it would be vice versa, but ear plugs etc might be the solution. If he tends to repetitive behaviour, he could have a great time as a bricklayer!
I don't mean to be frivolous, as I know how worrying it is when your son does not develop normally. Mine has had to move schools twice and is now in a pupil referral unit, he's 15 and we still don't know what his problem is. Having said that, does your son have "The knack":
I wish mine did.

It's impossible to give advice not knowing how severe and what his problems are. If stress is a problem then domestic work is less appealing than commercial. If noise is a greater problem then it would be vice versa, but ear plugs etc might be the solution. If he tends to repetitive behaviour, he could have a great time as a bricklayer!
I don't mean to be frivolous, as I know how worrying it is when your son does not develop normally. Mine has had to move schools twice and is now in a pupil referral unit, he's 15 and we still don't know what his problem is. Having said that, does your son have "The knack":
I wish mine did.
I wasn’t talking about my sons autism. I was referring to the fact that I may have autism myself

I wish mine did.
I wasn’t talking about my sons autism. I was referring to the fact that I may have autism myself
Sorry, my bad. You opened with your sons diagnosis, mentioned similar problems yourself, then asked if we knew any electricians with the same problem. I guess I jumped to the wrong conclusion while contemplating my own predicament. I hope you enjoyed the Dilbert clip anyway.

I wish mine did.

Sorry, my bad. You opened with your sons diagnosis, mentioned similar problems yourself, then asked if we knew any electricians with the same problem. I guess I jumped to the wrong conclusion while contemplating my own predicament. I hope you enjoyed the Dilbert clip anyway.
Lol no worries

Autism is a developmental disorder of variable severity that is characterised by difficulty in social interaction and communication and by restricted or repetitive patterns of thought and behaviour.

In some cases its just a label that has become popular in the last few years, if a parents child is being a dick then will say he is "autistic" and the other parents will agree, it the old days he's get a slap.

We all have our traits, its called character an everyone is a bit odd, I worked with a guy who's mate told me that he also had a ham sandwich for lunch, is he autistic ro just likes ham sandwiches?

Me for a start, I don't like losing tools and stuff so if I can't find my pliers, I need to find them........

We all have our traits, its called character an everyone is a bit odd, I worked with a guy who's mate told me that he also had a ham sandwich for lunch, is he autistic ro just likes ham sandwiches?
Haha well depends on his reaction if the sandwich is not available! If he has a meltdown and can't continue with normal life until the sandwich is there then yes that would need long into a diagnosis, same with depression, bipolar, OCD etc, and all the other mental diagnoses possible. But we can all learn something about ourselves that may make us happier in the long term if we realise we are slightly along that road even if nowhere near a problem.
Mental health has negative connotations, but maybe we should pay attention to it in the same way as our physical health.
This is a subject close to my heart so I'm really pleased people are happy to discuss:)

Autism is a developmental disorder of variable severity that is characterised by difficulty in social interaction and communication and by restricted or repetitive patterns of thought and behaviour.

In some cases its just a label that has become popular in the last few years, if a parents child is being a dick then will say he is "autistic" and the other parents will agree, it the old days he's get a slap.

Me for a start, I don't like losing tools and stuff so if I can't find my pliers, I need to find them........
Autism is on the rise because as a society everything we eat and dei
Haha well depends on his reaction if the sandwich is not available! If he has a meltdown and can't continue with normal life until the sandwich is there then yes that would need long into a diagnosis, same with depression, bipolar, OCD etc, and all the other mental diagnoses possible. But we can all learn something about ourselves that may make us happier in the long term if we realise we are slightly along that road even if nowhere near a problem.
Mental health has negative connotations, but maybe we should pay attention to it in the same way as our physical health.
This is a subject close to my heart so I'm really pleased people are happy to discuss:)
mental health and physical go hand in hand. Everything we eat and drink nowadays is full of chemicals. Even vaccines contain aluminium and mercury. This crosses the blood brain barrier and causes autism. It’s even listed on the CDC website as a side affect of certain vaccines. The world we live in is not a healthy one. Toxins, pollution, we don’t spend enough time outdoors and therefore don’t get enough vitamin D , we are on phones too much, we stress too much, care too much about money and work, don’t sleep enough, the list goes on. This has been the case for the past 50 odd years. Gluten intolerance is another one. That has only become a problem in the past 40 years. Around the same amount of time as they have been producing GMO corn, wheat. It isn’t a coincidence. It’s not the gluten, it’s the chemicals used to produce the grains. Anyway to get back on point, my son is severely autistic and has a meltdown over something as simple as losing a teddy bear. Not a tantrum, a meltdown, a sort of mental breakdown. I also have similar things when stressed, just on a smaller scale. Get overwhelmed easy can’t concentrate. If I make a mistake I will worry about it for the rest of the week. I constantly worry about the boss thinking I’m a rubbish spark and I don’t work fast enough

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to add every day for 20 years, to be honest most of the people that I have met over the years that have a screw loose are usually the happiest ones in the room, just don't get stuck in a corner of the room with someone ----ed suffering from Tourettes......... /VOE

I've had tinnitus for the past 6 years, it drives me mad.

You'll learn to block it out eventually. I'd like to blame mine on the powertools, but thinking back to all those clubbing nights hugging the speakers I think I was doomed anyway. You think two days with your ears ringing after a night out is no big thing when you're young and stupid.

Autism is on the rise because as a society everything we eat and dei

mental health and physical go hand in hand. Everything we eat and drink nowadays is full of chemicals. Even vaccines contain aluminium and mercury. This crosses the blood brain barrier and causes autism. It’s even listed on the CDC website as a side affect of certain vaccines. The world we live in is not a healthy one. Toxins, pollution, we don’t spend enough time outdoors, we are on phones too much, we stress too much, care too much about money and work, don’t sleep enough, the list goes on. This has been the case for the past 50 odd years. Gluten intolerance is another one. That has only become a problem in the past 40 years. Around the same amount of time as they have been producing GMO corn, wheat. It isn’t a coincidence. It’s not the gluten, it’s the chemicals used to produce the grains. Anyway to get back on point, my son is severely autistic and has a meltdown over something as simple as losing a teddy bear. Not a tantrum, a meltdown, a sort of mental breakdown. I also have similar things when stressed, just on a smaller scale. Get overwhelmed easy can’t concentrate. If I make a mistake I will worry about it for the rest of the week. I constantly worry about the boss thinking I’m a rubbish spark and I don’t work fast enough
But we are living longer......

Sorry hear about your son, but are you getting all the help that you can from the "system" you really need to delve deeper in to what is available where the OH worked one "patient" had a care package that was astronomical.

You'll learn to block it out eventually. I'd like to blame mine on the powertools, but thinking back to all those clubbing nights hugging the speakers I think I was doomed anyway. You think two days with your ears ringing after a night out is no big thing when you're young and stupid.
Yep, you do get used to it-I've had tinnitus for so long that if it disappeared tomorrow I'd struggle to adapt to the silence!

Reply to Are there any autistic electricians here? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock