Discuss Are there any heating wizards out there? If so, Please Help! Thanks in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

jedisparks

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evenin all,

Ok, Fairly confident with S plans, Y plans, UFH and the like but today I came accross a wiring situation that I did not understand and had not seen before. Unless I ask someone I'm going to lay awake worrying about it and that just won't do....

I'm basically re-wiring someones heating system whilst connecting up an additional rad zone via a relay, the existing install was a bloody mess! The thing that has thrown me is that part of the existing install has a pipe stat and what I thought was a frost stat.

The boiler, zone valves, pumps etc are outside in their own little boiler cupboard but still attached to the house, if you know what I mean.
Now, when I had a look at this stat it actually makes contact on temperature rise (temerature range is -15c - + 15c). It had a permanent live going in, the supply then goes out to a pipe stat and then onto the brown of one of the zone valves.

This seems weird to me and I don't know what to do. Does anyone know what I'm on about?

Many many thanks in advance.

Well in a normal house you have a room stat fine but on bigger properties mainly commercial it pays to have better controls so instead of a timeclock you would have optimization controls what does that mean well a timeclock just switches the heating on so some days because its mild outside it may take 15 minutes to get the area up to temperature but you may have set the timeclock to come on 1 hour before the time as you are trying calculate the warm up time but an optimizer will look at the room and outside temps and get the heating up to temperature by doing a calculation on when to switch it on plus it is self learning so think about just in time in other words you only use the energy you need none plus you can programme frost conditions settings ie you go away in the winter but instead of leaving the heating on the system will only use enough energy to stop pipes freezing or the fabric of the build temp gets to low..
As for the pipe stat this can be a pump run on stat so say the system goes off at 10pm and the boiler(s) were firing at the time the pipe stat will run the pump until the return temperature until the temp falls below the setting temp.

So why not fit this to domestics easy its all down to cost but that could change because of rising prices plus it would not take a lot to make a optimizer for a domestic environment

Thanks Old Timer,

Wonder if I didn't explain very well..... It definately does not have any temperature optimization controls. Just a a digital programmer. I was thrown by the existing 'make on temperature rise' stat and pipe stat in the boiler room. It is a domestic job. I'm happy wiring everything else but not sure where this stat and pipe stat should fit in. Thanks again.

Thanks sedgy34,

But how can it switch the boiler on if it makes contact on temperature rise. For frost protection it would need to make on temperature fall, would it not? this is why I'm confussedand****ed off.com

Yeah, there is the usual stuff. it's just that there is an odd stat on the wall in the boiler room which in turn is connected to a pipe stat, this is confussing me. To tell the truth, I think I'm over thinking this. So, I'm gonna go chill out with a cuppa and tackle this in the morning with a fresh head. Thanks for your replies.

sounds like its a frost stat, you shouldn't be able to control the temp on it with out removing the cover, also make sure that the pipe stat is a pipe stat and not a cylinder stat, think both only go from 2-20 degrees,

it works the same as a room stat, just that not everyone has there heating on during the night and if the boiler is in a garage or somewhere cold they are fitted to stop pipes and pumps freezing, will come on when temp drops below whatever it is set at, will only heat up one or two degrees then go off!

It's a m.o.r stat which basically means it measures the temp of the pipe and if it gets too hot, it starts a separate pump to circulate and get rid of the excess heat.

I've used the pipe stat on the return to the boiler before to switch the boiler off after the frost stat has called for heat.
frost stat calls for heat, boils fires, pumps water round system then when the return to the boiler is warm the pipe stat breaks the circuit, unit it cools again.

electric will is correct as i understand it, whenever a frost stat is fitted to a system we also fit a pipe stat on the return for the exact reason stated above, this will prevent the boiler from continually running as no controls will switch it off until the external temp rises and causes the frost stat to drop out.

electric will is correct as i understand it, whenever a frost stat is fitted to a system we also fit a pipe stat on the return for the exact reason stated above, this will prevent the boiler from continually running as no controls will switch it off until the external temp rises and causes the frost stat to drop out.
done it a few times and it works fine, make sure your pipe or tank stat will go down to low temps, start of by setting at about 10 degrees and keep increasing if needed, also don't fit too close to boiler as the return pipe with be warmer than rest if system just from being so close.

You cn now get these boiler optimisers for domestic! only around ÂŁ150 ish, it has sensors on the flow and return pipes and does all the above!

- - - Updated - - -

You cn now get these boiler optimisers for domestic! only around ÂŁ150 ish, it has sensors on the flow and return pipes and does all the above!

Reply to Are there any heating wizards out there? If so, Please Help! Thanks in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net