Discuss Are you one of the people lost by Thomas Cook going bump? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

buzzlightyear

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
are you one of those people affected by T.COOK .by buying a holiday or flight it a shame a company like that gone ,but who next . I know a spark that booked a family holiday ,he is not happy.

are you one of those people affected by T.COOK .by buying a holiday or flight it a shame a company like that gone ,but who next .
I was lost years ago buzz," lost in a lost world"
Not mastered Dan's new section yet So sorry Dan. its not educational anyway

are you one of those people affected by T.COOK .by buying a holiday or flight it a shame a company like that gone ,but who next . I know a spark that booked a family holiday ,he is not happy.
Apparently ATOL the travel insurance people are getting flights back for everybody, mostly likely on the same day they were pre-booked for.

And also, they're paying the hotels on behalf of the firm going bump.

And it's not the big disaster that the media are making it out to be.

There were contigency plans in place already because they were expected to go bump. So flights were arranged already. And for the few countries people are in that don't have flights booked because there aren't enough heads. The government are arranging humanitarian collections. So they're booking them on smaller charter planes and choppers to bring them to a more central place, and then bringing them back.

So at the worst case, people are stuck by a pool in the sun with an extra day paid for on their holiday etc.

Best case, another week on holiday all paid for, and some cool military chopper flights to some airport, and some extra holiday snaps that you'll never forget about!

It's blown up in the media and on social media. As usual. :)

Apparently ATOL the travel insurance people are getting flights back for everybody, mostly likely on the same day they were pre-booked for.

And also, they're paying the hotels on behalf of the firm going bump.

And it's not the big disaster that the media are making it out to be.

There were contigency plans in place already because they were expected to go bump. So flights were arranged already. And for the few countries people are in that don't have flights booked because there aren't enough heads. The government are arranging humanitarian collections. So they're booking them on smaller charter planes and choppers to bring them to a more central place, and then bringing them back.

So at the worst case, people are stuck by a pool in the sun with an extra day paid for on their holiday etc.

Best case, another week on holiday all paid for, and some cool military chopper flights to some airport, and some extra holiday snaps that you'll never forget about!

It's blown up in the media and on social media. As usual. :)

Unless you holiday in Tunisia We were held 'hostage', say Thomas Cook customers - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49787563.

Its not the glorious extra stay your suggesting Dan. In the most part, the Thomas Cook customers will get chucked out of their current hotel, corralled in another one where you may come off lucky or not. Or worse still, spend a few days in the airport departure lounge.

Unless you holiday in Tunisia We were held 'hostage', say Thomas Cook customers - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49787563.

Its not the glorious extra stay your suggesting Dan. In the most part, the Thomas Cook customers will get chucked out of their current hotel, corralled in another one where you may come off lucky or not. Or worse still, spend a few days in the airport departure lounge.
Again, news bloating it. An hour after that happened, they got assurances that they were going to be paid. And it all went back to normal.

One of my customers was all over Facebook with a woeful “ how am I going to tell my boys they won’t be going on holiday in October after all???!”
I’m sure her kids would rather sit at home for a week on their Xbox.

ATOL was set up after the last big holiday firm collapsed and will be doing what they can to help everyone.
Ok, some people won’t get their planned flight home....
ok, some people may have to change their plans....
The worse thing is people are losing their jobs.... but they will find employment elsewhere.

For once the government got it right by NOT bailing out a company that was obviously on the way down.

I'm owed 6 grand off of them now for my holiday that I booked for next year.
You'll get that off of ATOL mate. They wont pay you. But you WILL get your money back. :) I promise you.

They'll be prioritising the passengers first. But come next week, they'll take a look at your kinda bookings I'm sure. :)
[automerge]1569255189[/automerge]
One of my customers was all over Facebook with a woeful “ how am I going to tell my boys they won’t be going on holiday in October after all???!”
I’m sure her kids would rather sit at home for a week on their Xbox.

ATOL was set up after the last big holiday firm collapsed and will be doing what they can to help everyone.
Ok, some people won’t get their planned flight home....
ok, some people may have to change their plans....
The worse thing is people are losing their jobs.... but they will find employment elsewhere.

For once the government got it right by NOT bailing out a company that was obviously on the way down.
Oh hell yea. No more bailouts for anybody IMO.

It's a leisure firm. If lots of people have booked holidays with them, it just means the country is doing alright. It's a positive booking-wise.

People will get their money back.

Insurance will go up now mind!

You'll get that off of ATOL mate. They wont pay you. But you WILL get your money back. :) I promise you.

They'll be prioritising the passengers first. But come next week, they'll take a look at your kinda bookings I'm sure. :)
Yeah I've just had a little look online and it looks that the ATOL claim forms for Thomas cook will be available from Monday. I've got to book Florida through someone else now.

If media stopped reporting on it so freakishly, nobody would rush to the airports freaking out, and there wouldn't be delays and stuff.

They just need to sit still, wait for their hoteliers to let them know what their new pick up time will be. And chill by the pool.

Nobody is going to get left stranded anywhere. The earth isn't that big. Because of the style of their package holidays, not very many would have gone more than a couple of miles from their hotel anyway. During the whole holiday. So they just need chill some more. :)

Unfortunate for all those affected, however the media are IMO somewhat overweight on reporting this as a 170 year old business that has finally come to an end. The reality is, like with so many other businesses, "Thomas Cook" was no more than a trading name, retained for its IP value.

The Thomas Cook & Son business was sold to LNER (the original LNER) prior to the nationalisation of the railways in 1948, when it became part of the British Transport Commission. In 1972, it was acquired by a consortium of public companies before being bought by a German investment bank in the early 90s.

Just after the turn of the century, it was sold to another German company, already operating in the travel sector, prior to a 2007 merger with the (formerly "Airtours" company) MyTravel Group, and being rebranded "Thomas Cook Group plc".

In summary, there's nothing sentimental or particularly relevant to the company's Leicester heritage during (at least) the last seventy years, as the original business sold out when LNER acquired it.

That's bang on that is.

Leisure industries only do well when people have money and the fact so many are still going, and Ryanair have stormed in and done so well, only means we can't be that bad at the mo.

Yeah I've just had a little look online and it looks that the ATOL claim forms for Thomas cook will be available from Monday. I've got to book Florida through someone else now.

For US try dialaflight. May not be the same as 2 or 3 years ago when we used them, but worth a phone call.

Came out massively cheaper than anywhere else we tried and the service was very good too. Think the flights were BA, but they can book through whoever. They also booked a US domestic flight for us.

Reply to Are you one of the people lost by Thomas Cook going bump? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net