Discuss ARMEG Adjustable Hole cutter... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I did use one once ages ago, I obviously didn't like it as dont have one, I have a lot of the bosch power change so find it easier to grab the one I need and not have to mess around setting that up or worry about nails or screws in the ceiling.

I did use one once ages ago, I obviously didn't like it as dont have one, I have a lot of the bosch power change so find it easier to grab the one I need and not have to mess around setting that up or worry about nails or screws in the ceiling.

I've got a couple of powerchange ones too, but need a 72mm which they don't do. I know Aurora do a 72mm one, but thought I might be better off investing in one that would also do more sizes. The Armeg goes upto 203mm which might also be useful for extractor fans.

Anyone else with any opinions? And if anyone knows of a another brand of 72mm I'd be keen to know that also.

Cheers

Starret do a 72mm cutter / holesaw, i have a load of diferrent sizes of those in the van, including 100mm, & 115 for some fans. Dont think i would be too keen on that armeg one, as soon as they hit anything like a piece of timber, screw or nail etc, they will rip your hand off.

I had a downlight that wanted a 72mm hole the other week, I used a 76mm as the coiled part of the spring holder either side wouldn't have got through the hole without damaging it, even then it scraped with the 76mm

I have the silverline version of this and find it invaluable - as there are so many sizes of holes required for downlights these days - I got one primarily because it doesn't fill your drill up with plaster or spread dust everywhere. Yes it takes a few minutes to set up - but for the convinence of cutting an ysize hole up to 200mm thats a small price to pay.

I've used one a few times before, they have there for and against's, as mentioned, i thought they were pretty good as you dont end up covered in crap and cover the customer house in dust. its an idea to try to keep the seal around the edge clean then you dont end up with a big black circle on a nice white ceiling.

Dam i forgot i got one of those ! will use it next time ! looks ok though and as said looks like a good dust saver.

If its the sort with a big plastic bowl to catch the dust and debris you will find it MUCH easier with 2 people - 1 to hold the "bowl" in place securely with the other person wrestles with the drill. You have to be very careful to get the drill square with the ceiling, otherwise the points have a tendency to snatch and pull the drill off course. This is why its useful to have both hands on the drill while somebody else stops the bowl from spinning around!

I have a few of those but we call them 'tank cutters' and they don't have the catching bowl contraption. Funnily enough we use them mostly for cutting holes in large 10000 litre plastic water tanks when we install probe assemblies. They work very well with a very slowspeed (300-600RPM) 1kW drill.

There is also DADE Dust and Debris Eliminator, which is a silicon cowl, which catches and traps the dust and debris whilst allowing the use of hole-saws up to 120mm. In my opinion, this is quicker, easier, and cheaper. It works a treat. Most of us already use hole-saws anyway and this device allows them to be still used whilst catching all the nasties, best of all worlds! See link below:

www.simpleideasuk.com

Also City stock them.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is also DADE Dust and Debris Eliminator, which is a silicon cowl, which catches and traps the dust and debris whilst allowing the use of hole-saws up to 120mm. In my opinion, this is quicker, easier, and cheaper. It works a treat. Most of us already use hole-saws anyway and this device allows them to be still used whilst catching all the nasties, best of all worlds!.

i've got one of those and it works a treat!

Reply to ARMEG Adjustable Hole cutter... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net