Discuss Armour to T&E cable jointing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Guys, I've need to run a cable from a CCU, through a wall (which has a garage on the other side), then run (10mm, 3 core) armour to an installation. What I would like to do is run 10mm T&E from the CCU through the wall ('cos it's easier to manipulate in a confined space obviously), straight into the back of a plastic box on the other (garage) side of the wall, then join to the armour with 60A chock block in the box. Now, I know this may not be the most elegant solution, but on the face of it, it appears safe (no shortage of screw terminals in a CCU for example), the block would be in a plastic box and the armour would be earthed as a matter of course. However, does anyone have any reason(s), either on any safety basis or, regs-wise, why I shouldn't do it this way? And if not, I'd really appreciate any alternative suggestions! Thanks in advance people, (and please forgive me if I don't reply to anyone for a while, as I've got some immediate commitments I've gotta attend to!)

Re: Armour to T&E cable jointing

glad the sea into a galvanised terminal box or small adaptable box, strip the outer plc and sea protective cores and run the double insulated swa back to the consumer unit, in conduit if its on show or galv or plc 2x2 trunking, no joints, a lot better job, or if you must joint it through crimp it then use heat shrink, a lot better sound joint that screwed connectors! hope this helps, let us know how you get on

- - - Updated - - -

gland the SWA* sure you can make out what I'm saying, my keyboard has had it!

gland SWA into box, but leave tails long enough to reach into CU. fit pvc tube from back of box through wall into CU. feed SWA tails through tube. no joints. fly lead from CU earth bar to banjo on SWA gland.

as tel and DAB just make sure you earth the Armour pointless having it unless its earthed , i would gland it into the CDU and then use an earthing nut at the consumer unit end

Sorry about my late reply mate, but my T&E proposal is no longer relevant as I'm going with telectrix's suggestion, and running the cores through the wall in conduit, effectively as singles (having glanded off the armour to a metal box on the garage side, and run an earth extension etc.). I really appreciate all the helpful comments, thank you all very much!

Reply to Armour to T&E cable jointing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net