Discuss Armoured and mdpe in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Redjeff

DIY
Reaction score
Evening,

I am supplying services to my detached garage. I have laid a 750mm trench for the mdpe pipe, back filled ready for the armoured cable to go on top.
I am bringing the mdpe pipe up under my patio which has a purpose built storage area underneath (with t-bar construction) then carrying it through into the house. To get the pipe under the patio, I have had to core drill under steps which was not exactly easy.

The question is, can I bring the armoured cable through this same hole then seperate the two once through?

I'm currently getting quotes to do the electrics, but I want to get this cable in and get the garden back to normal first.

Thanks for your help
Lorne

I cant see a problem with what you intend to do.

Agreed, it looks perfectly OK.

Hopefully you have already been through the calculations for the cable size, etc?

You should make sure the spraky is happy with the cable (type, rating, supplier, etc) before you commit to it as ultimately they are looking at signing off on the whole system.

Thank you very much guys.

Yes I have already talked to the sparks, both are happy with 16mm. I am also getting them to change the consumer unit as well whilst they're at it, seems an obvious thing to do as it's an old Crabtree rail type.

David Prosper: When you say hockey stick, what do you mean by that? Is it like flexible duct?

No mate they are rigid. Just google them pretty much any supplier will have them or get them in. This is for the SWA you get simular ones for MDPE they can be either just another pre-made bend pipe fitting or for the pipe to pass through.Armoured and mdpe HS_large - EletriciansForums.net

Yes I have already talked to the sparks, both are happy with 16mm. I am also getting them to change the consumer unit as well whilst they're at it, seems an obvious thing to do as it's an old Crabtree rail type.
If you are going for 16mm cable then I guess you are planning for a fair amount of power, so I expect your sparky will be splitting the meter tails to provide a separate fused-switch feed for the detached garage in that case as it makes sense to do it at the same time as a CU change.
[automerge]1590649686[/automerge]
Ah got you, I've just normally used some drain pipe, but being preformed would be easier.
The main advantage is they already honour the minimum bend radius for the typical cables the DNO would use, and that is fairly similar to your 16mm SWA.

Yea it's pretty much a flat, it will have all the amenities of a flat, just not the size of one....well a studio maybe!

Reply to Armoured and mdpe in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock