Discuss Armoured cable 16mm or 25mm in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am not an electrician. Can anyone help please?

I have an outbuilding which I am converting into two offices.

The building is currently served by a 16mm armoured cable running underground from my house, the distance is about 100 metres.

Potentially the building could have a maximum of the following appliances:-

2x2kw electric oil filled radiators
1x1.5kw electric oil filled radiator
Hand wash 2.5kw
Electric Kettle 2.5kw
Saniflo 400 watts
Vacuum Cleaner 1kw
4 Fluorescent Lights
2 Computers
Total aprox 13kw

Will the existing 16mm cable be adequate or will I have to have it replaced with a 25mm armoured cable.

Thank you

bear in mind that not all loads will be in use simultaneously. applying diversity, I'd allow for an aveage load of 8kW. that equates to c. 40A, so as far as current capacity, 16mm will,be fine. volt drop however may be a factor.

For a 40 amp load over that distance you will have a volt drop of 11.2 volts.

As you have lighting the maximum permitted is 3%, 6.9 volts, even using 25mm you are just over for volt drop.

Also depending on your current earthing arrangements and protective device type you would be looking at 35mm as a minimum.

My advice is to employ the services of a local electrician to design and install this for you, a few figures and a bit of SWAG on the internet is no substitute for a full site visit and survey.

i could not be arsed to work out the VD as books are in van. however, for wtat it would cost to replace the 16mm cable versus exceeding the 3% for lighting, I'd fit LED lights which are happy with a slightly reduced voltage and sod it. at the end if the day, it's only a shed, not a hospital operating theatre. tin hat ready.

With your current 16mm cable, you can have a 25A breaker.

With your current 16mm cable, you can have a 25A breaker.
and what purpose would that serve apart from OP wearing ot his shoes going backwards and forwards to reset???????

it's only a shed, not a hospital operating theatre.

Following on from this mate. If he is to reduce the items going into the shed then the max breaker he can have is 25A.. :kissingheart::kissingheart:

I am not an electrician. Can anyone help please?

I have an outbuilding which I am converting into two offices.

The building is currently served by a 16mm armoured cable running underground from my house, the distance is about 100 metres.

Potentially the building could have a maximum of the following appliances:-

2x2kw electric oil filled radiators
1x1.5kw electric oil filled radiator
Hand wash 2.5kw
Electric Kettle 2.5kw
Saniflo 400 watts
Vacuum Cleaner 1kw
4 Fluorescent Lights
2 Computers
Total aprox 13kw

Will the existing 16mm cable be adequate or will I have to have it replaced with a 25mm armoured cable.

Thank you
Will that be a 3 phase or Single phase supply?

Following on from this mate. If he is to reduce the items going into the shed then the max breaker he can have is 25A.. :kissingheart::kissingheart:
i'm at a loss to see why he should fit a 25A breaker protecting a 16mm cable.

the breaker is there to protect the cable from overload/short circuit, not to minimise volt drop. it' s Ib that should not exceed 25A, not In.

Hi - 100m is a long run and as usual the heating becomes a load problem as it might be on all day.
yeah. but OP would have a warm lawn.

Reply to Armoured cable 16mm or 25mm in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock