Discuss Armoured cable size in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

danielg

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I am having my garden landscaped and using the opportunity to put services in a trench in preparation for a garden studio/office build in the summer.May put a shower and water heater in as well.Approx 55 meters from house fuse board to office location.
What size of armoured cable should I use ?

Hi - with 55m + to cover, the determining issue will likely be voltage drop. You’ve mentioned you’d like a shower and a water heater. So a decision is whether you will use a tank and 3kW immersion heater for your hot water or an instant (on demand) heater of say 10kW. If you then add another load of say 2kW for lights, computer and a small heater we’ve got say 21A or 50A depending. No prizes for guessing the big load will need a bigger cable :) .

Hi - with 55m + to cover, the determining issue will likely be voltage drop. You’ve mentioned you’d like a shower and a water heater. So a decision is whether you will use a tank and 3kW immersion heater for your hot water or an instant (on demand) heater of say 10kW. If you then add another load of say 2kW for lights, computer and a small heater we’ve got say 21A or 50A depending. No prizes for guessing the big load will need a bigger cable :) .
Hi
Water heater fairly unlikely, building will be divided between secure shed and a room, use yet to be determined. Two oil filled rads. A few sockets and LED down lights

16 or 25mm ?

As you will have to get the installation tested and signed off by an electrician, your best bet would be to get one involved from the start. Design is one of the sections to be signed on the certificate.
It will save you a lot of grief later on.

• Agree
Reactions: DPG
Easy........25mm SWA will cover all your CCC and VD worries in lieu of calculations and having a design current! Design is for softies anyway.......With cables, it's a case of go big or go home!! Lol

Reply to Armoured cable size in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net