Discuss Artex walls, ceilings and beyond in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Corvus

Hi, first of all I'm new here.

99% of my work is Industrial but last week a friend of my wife asked if I could pop over and talk to her about a full rewire of her
4 bedroom bungerlow (not lived in) . The place haden't moved on from the 60s, odd unswitched socket on the skirting board, 4way
wooden wylex board you get the idea.

She would leave it up to me, to what would be needed within question.

Looking about, thinking of all the chase work needed, then noticed all the walls & ceiling were Artex finished (with yellow stain).

Should I walk away from this one, or tell her to get it all tested, or to get some one to remove the lot ?

Might be just nicotine stained haha, artex did have a strane of the big A in it years ago as did ceramic tiles and even boards behind the flush box in the toilet, I would give her a price to rewire it myself, a 4 bed bungalow and do as you want huh, okay 2.5K PLUS VAT THEN HEHE

Thanks for that..... going to ask her to get tested, I know she dosen't like it as well.

wise decision mate better to be safe than sorry. As said, it's very cheap and will give you peace of mind when you chopping out chases etc.

just on a private note, what do you think she has? :cool3:

Any house that was built in the 1900s to 2002 has a risk of asbestos in it,especially in the 1950s when they would use it to insulate the loft. It's was in plaster board that's why skips companies don't allow you to put the stuff in there skips anymore,it's every where. Scares the living day lights out of me.

It's was in plaster board that's why skips companies don't allow you to put the stuff in there skips anymore,it's every where.

It's not asbestos that's the probelm it's Gypsum, it can't go to landfill because it's reasonably easy to recycle and takes a lot of energy to produce in the first place.

And there's worse things to be aware of than Asbestos.

It's not asbestos that's the probelm it's Gypsum, it can't go to landfill because it's reasonably easy to recycle and takes a lot of energy to produce in the first place.

And there's worse things to be aware of than Asbestos.

Actually that is not accurate, because as late as the 1980s chrysotile asbestos was used in the composition of artex. And this product was continued to be sold up for manty years after.
So it is important to always get artex tested prior to any work that can break it down, such as chopping out etc

Well I done an asbestos awareness course the they said it was in some plaster boards so I assumed that was why skip companies didn't take it,I also thought skip companies try to recycle what is in there skips anyway.

I've never tried to get something tested for asbestos....... Who do you get to do the testing and what does it cost roughly?

There are loads of companies in yellow pages, cost wise I'm not sure as the last time I needed one was around 2000-2001, and then it was about £60 for the report and that included me taking a small sample to them.
Would imagine the cost is a little more now though

Actually that is not accurate, because as late as the 1980s chrysotile asbestos was used in the composition of artex. And this product was continued to be sold up for manty years after.
So it is important to always get artex tested prior to any work that can break it down, such as chopping out etc

I was refering to contents of skips, not Artex.

And it's Artex applied up to and as late as the year 2000 that needs testing.

If in doubt get it tested because if it is you that disturbs it then you are leaving yourself wide open to prosecution if there is found to be asbestos present.

The content level is irrelevent if its there it is there, obviously some are more damaging than others.

Also it is only dangerous if you have to disturb it, there are many buildings that have asbestos present but because in many instances it will never be disturbed it is fine for it to stay.

Apparantly they still farm it in China and it was first reported to be used by the Egyptians in the Pyramids.

Reply to Artex walls, ceilings and beyond in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net