Discuss Artificial 3 phase. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Knobhead

OK we’ve got nice fancy boxes of gubbins if you want to run a 3 phase motor off single phase now. I’ve just found my Brook motors electricians bible after loosing it for near 5 years. The bible was given to every industrial electrical apprentice up until the late 70’s.

There were ways to run a 3 phase system without the box of frogs. It’s a bit weird and not very efficient, but it worked. I tried it. The pilot motor needs to be about 15 to 20% KW of the largest motor.
The pilot motor would have to be started by spinning it by hand. Once several motors are running on the system the pilot motor can be stopped.

I never tried it in anger, but it was fun to set up in the workshop. As to the size of the capacitors the bible says phone Brook motors, we did it by trial and error.

View attachment 10515

Tell me more!

I got a huge compressor off ebay ages ago for 99p but it's got a 3P motor and I'm too tight to buy a 1P motor.

Thought about building my own 3 to 1 phase box of goodies, but laziness struck again.

First thing Archie is what voltage is the motor you have on the compressor? If it can run in delta at 230V you’re in with a chance. As to the size of the capacitor it’s hit and miss. As I said, the bible says contact Brook 01484 557 200. I was lucky, I’d stripped out an old MCC panel and squirreled away loads of small PF capacitors to play with.
I’ll try to scan the pages from the bible, but it’s only a 4” by 3” pocket book with very small print. If I can get a decent JPEG copy I’ll e-mail it to you if you PM your mail address.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony does that book have an isbn number? I worked not so long ago with a bloke who had what sounds like that book. It came in handy with the job we were on.

Just wondering if there are any knocking around on eBay or amazon.

As Tony stated, this little Brook book titled '' Installation And Maintenance Of Electric Motors'' was given to every student back in the day's when there was Real apprenticeships... lol!!
I still have mine too, full of my own little notes, from my student days ...and where i've had course to use some of the information it contained over the years...

It's a small pocket book but has a 188 pages of info, tables, diagrams, circuits, and photo's. The cover and binding is a bit ragged these days, being repaired several times over the years, but it stays with me, wherever i go. It has had it's own pocket in all my briefcase's over the years.

As far as i can see, it has no ISBN number, at least not in my book, which is the 7th or 8th edition (faded/worn print) No idea if it's still in print, but you could always contact Brook Crompton and ask. If it is still in print and you do a lot of motor work, BUY it!! lol!! It's a practical pocket book not a technical book, ...but still gives you plenty of technical information as and where needed....

Thanks I will look into it.

I remember it being very useful that day, clarified a few things whilst I was second guessing myself.

51TqIggg7OL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Found one :)

£6 delivered.

Eng, what is this App..apprendfgn apprentish&**(^ thing you keep refering to? :)

I never had one unfortunately (wish I had), self taught Instrument Tech me.
Got my breakthrough into it by trudging around the Job Centres of the North West, finally found this job, basically he just wanted the cheapest labour he could get his hands on, no self respecting Inst Tech would've touched with a barge pole. Dug out my old college notes and any manuals etc I could get my hands on and got stuck in. It seemed to pay off in the end, a certain Pharmaceutical company were happy enough!

You barsteward Rob, that's the last one on the internet, should've logged on earlier! :)

I got the last two. The description of the 6quid one Is heavily used. Then I found a brand new one, paid abit more for that one.

So dependent on condition. I will sell one for what I payed for it on this forum.

I got the last two. The description of the 6quid one Is heavily used. Then I found a brand new one, paid abit more for that one.

So dependent on condition. I will sell one for what I payed for it on this forum.

Ignore everyone else, I'll have it!
Let me know when you're ready to sell.
Cheers A

Ok. I'll drop you a pm when they arrive.

Need to contact a mod actually as whenever I click on private messages or profile it takes me to somebody elses.

Reply to Artificial 3 phase. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net