Discuss As an electrician, do you feel you have enough independent competition between certification companies when it comes to renewal time? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is there enough independent competition in the certification industry?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Supporter
Reaction score
As an electrician, do you feel you have enough independent competition between certification companies when it comes to renewal time?

(Poll total results are publicly visible - but NOT the actual individual votes - those are private and cannot be accessed via the forum software once the vote is made and added to the poll - nobody can or will find out who voted for what, in this actual poll. Other polls around the forum will say when votes are displayed publicly)

Has the connections between the several brands caused any confusion for you?

And would you like to see more independent options?

I'm genuinely interested in reading all your thoughts about this.

Please keep the thread informative, on-topic, and constructive when criticism is fairly given. Note that we run on a report-by basis when it comes to moderation, and don't individually approve all posts pre-posting. The comments made in this thread are the thoughts and comments of the person posting, and not of the forum or myself, or any volunteer staff. And their opinions are only stated at the time of posting, and may change over time and not be their actual end view.

Discussion is important about any subject, especially when given the fact that a lot of money is going into the brands being discussed, I assume to make the industry safe and regulated.

Last edited:
There is basically a choice between napit and certsure. So no.

Stroma shook everyone up by being really cheap, so that was brilliant.
At least hat time my vote would of been yes.
Given time it would have forced the others to bring there prices down to a more realistic price.

Unfortunately napit bought them out.

In my opinion That should not have been allowed under competition law rules.

Last edited:
There is basically a choice between napit and certsure. So no.

Stroma shook everyone up by being really cheap, so that was brilliant.
At least hat time my vote would of been yes.
Given time it would have forced the others to bring there prices down to a more realistic price.

Unfortunately napit bought them out.

In my opinion That should not have been aloud under competition law rules.
Unless anybody contests against it, I guess there isn't a chance to get it checked or whatever?

Do we know why Certsure and NAPIT only "work together" and aren't actually the same company? If that is the case? - perhaps somebody did intervene back in 2014-2016 or whatever. Whenever those press releases were sent out back then.

I'll just be over here with my government issued electrician's license, the one I have to show documented proof of study and experience to qualify for. :)
And be safe in the knowledge no numpty can go buying consumer units etc and install them DIY fashion.
Australia has it right ... imho ... that you need a license to buy certain electrical equipment.
[automerge]1569060858[/automerge]
Personally I'd prefer a single 'Competent Person Scheme' for sparks, that way customers could be educated in the same way they have been about Gas engineers, i.e. Corgi now GasSafe.

I know the Gas Safe Register isn't technically a competent person scheme, but it does make it simpler to educate people that work on gas pipes/equipment must be carried out/signed off by an engineer who has achieved the required standards.

Why wouldn't you want the same for our industry?

Why would you want to buy the cheapest option when it eventually comes down to safety and ensuring things are done right?

imho ... Good isn't cheap and cheap is rarely good

Last edited:
^^^^ Good post. :)

That's a whole industry change. And I can't see the two, maybe one, main brand being too happy about that. Or they become it, and they've dominated and that means set prices perhaps?

Not sure.

Corgi was ran by one of these brands we mention, I think....? They lost the bid but kept the name under license. Then it came up for grabs and the guy who owns it now has been bought out by Plumbase so they can use the Corgi name.

It was tarnished badly when it was Corgi as a gas regulator.

Gas Safe is better, but it's not perfect.

And the plumbers who are Gas Safe don't half have a go at those who aren't. That bit isn't perfect either.

Reply to As an electrician, do you feel you have enough independent competition between certification companies when it comes to renewal time? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock