Discuss Asbestos disposal charge? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

RISElectrical

Got a CU change coming up in the next month or so and have a dilema.

The old CU has asbestos in the fuse carriers, having done this numerous times working for a company (they had asbestos disposal procedures where we double bagged the small items and they were collected) I havent done one whilst working for myself. The customer is aware of the asbestos and adding the cost to the bill isnt a problem. Just need a ball park figure for how much to charge them.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Me too. Did u know you can book a free slot with the council yard to back up your van if need be, stuffed full of asbestos?

put it in a plastic bag. take it to your local council tip/recycling depot, or wtatever the loony left want to call it tomorrow, and chances are you'll get a guy in a hi-vis from WWII tell you to just chuck it in the household waste skip, mate.

edit: my sweaty socks are more hazardous.

Last edited:
put it in a plastic bag. take it to your local council tip/recycling depot, or wtatever the loony left want to call it tomorrow, and chances are you'll get a guy in a hi-vis from WWII tell you to just chuck it in the household waste skip, mate.

edit: my sweaty socks are more hazardous.

A couple of years ago I was told to put my ciggie out at Stretford tip...what?!

I can challenge your edit on levels of hazardness.

I was told to put my ciggie out at Stretford tip...what?!

yep the anti-smoking gestapo live and breathe in the form of council jobsworths. i've had to put my smoke out at an open air car boot sale before now, as it was on council owned field.

off subject a bit
when is pigeon sh!t not pigeon sh!t?

the answer is when it's removed.....
when pigeon sh!t is removed it becomes bio-hazardous waste...
I jest you not.

I would make an enquiry to tech support with NIC, ELESCA or NAPIT whichever your signed upto.
and ask them what to do with it.

Also, don't forget your waste transfer licence.

Actually this could be a thread for all those Domestic Installer's on here?

Whenever I've worked on a site with asbestos around, the professional asbestos removal company takes care of it.

Last edited:
Whenever I've worked on a site with asbestos around, the professional asbestos removal company takes care of it.

and then dumps it under a school playground. it's OK though, coz. it's only a state school. ( quote from alan b
'stard, new statesman)

off subject a bit
when is pigeon sh!t not pigeon sh!t?

the answer is when it's removed.....
when pigeon sh!t is removed it becomes bio-hazardous waste...
I jest you not.

I would make an enquiry to tech support with NIC, ELESCA or NAPIT whichever your signed upto.
and ask them what to do with it.

Also, don't forget your waste transfer licence.

Actually this could be a thread for all those Domestic Installer's on here?

Same here, whenever there has been asbestos, men come, put on silly suits, take it away and usually i got a day off while they did it as the site was shut down... ahhh the good old days!

and then dumps it under a school playground. it's OK though, coz. it's only a state school. ( quote from alan b
'stard, new statesman)
Got to be the best answer, perhaps not the last bit though:) and making your price not look like ripping them off.

I will prob add on £30 to cover taking it to the council tip, or i could bury it in the garden and have done with it. I wouldnt have even mentioned it but the customer for some reason has insisted in its safe removal after some other guy told her thats what she had to do.

so. get a freezer bag, write in it with marker "asbestos waste--for safe disposal" put the bits in the bag, then bin it.

Just sling the entire board in next doors bin, end of problem. Put it in a bin liner if you’re that ecologically brainwashed.
There’s so much codswallop about asbestos. Blue, white or brown, which one was used in fuse carriers? Which ones are dangerous?

Fuse carriers are usually in the form of white asbestos cement or older ones porcelain lined with white asbestos braid. Pull the fuse, disconnect and remove the board as a whole. Don’t start poking about! Somewhere I’ve got a report about asbestos cement arc chutes in which the bottom line was “if left alone to do their job there's no problem”.

I’ve demolished three plants that were full of blue and brown asbestos, now that was a different matter. Full containment with airlocks. They cost more to demolish than to build.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also in favour of bagging and binning it. What does the law say in the UK regarding very small quantities?.

Reply to Asbestos disposal charge? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock