Discuss asbestos in fuse carriers and tenants changing fuse wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been quite for a while, but ive got a bit an issue that I would like the opinion or expertise of the masses on.
went out to a tenanted flat today as tenant has said socket was no working, when e arrived there was no power on the braided 2.5 single T&E coming into the socket. further investigation found all radials in the flat.
when I found the CU I is an old style unit which has asbestos flashguards fitted,
m main question is that I feel that I would not want to advise the tenant that it was safe to rewire the fuse in the event that one blows,
I had suggested that the property would need rewiring in he near future, due to height of sockets lack of sockets radials etc.
I have in the past poped the flashguards out but of recent I am loathed to do this because a landlord that is tight will never replace the CU then! and deep down I know there is still likely to be fibres present the bottom of the CU.

so just really a straw poll of opinions or if anyone has some black and white hat can wave all the better.

Thanks

Dave

Inform the landlord that to ensure the safety of his tenant he should have an asbestos survey carried out, also inform the tenant of this. We all know we change them and don't bat an eyelid, but it is different in a tenanted situation... a duty of care and safety is there with the onus on the landlord. It may well prove to be safe... but this is covering your arse.

Lack of sockets, height of sockets, and presence of radial circuits .... none of those suggest to me that rewire is needed in the near future. What do you mean ?

been a thread or 2 on this subject. the exposure to asbestos fibres is minimal and does not present a risk with occasional fuse replacement.

I had suggested that the property would need rewiring in he near future, due to height of sockets lack of sockets radials etc.
Eh? Height of sockets is now a valid reason for a rewire?
As far as the rest of it is concerned, all you can do is advise. You can't force a tightwad to pay for work.
Put your findings in writing and send them by email making sure you retain a copy in case any brown and smelly stuff hits a fan at a later date

Eh? Height of sockets is now a valid reason for a rewire?
As far as the rest of it is concerned, all you can do is advise. You can't force a tightwad to pay for work.
Put your findings in writing and send them by email making sure you retain a copy in case any brown and smelly stuff hits a fan at a later date

Put it down on paper and give it to the land lord as Andy has said its up to the land lord to ensure the installation is safe and check the bonding is up to scratch , the asbestos in flash pads can be nasty but as Tel has said the risk is minimal

as for the radials and sockets nothing wrong with them just sounds to me that the install needs an upgrade

been a thread or 2 on this subject. the exposure to asbestos fibres is minimal and does not present a risk with occasional fuse replacement.

A thread or two??? ............. it's like the ever-present perennial weed - I just wish I could roll the damned thing up and smoke it!

Hi all, I have been quite for a while, but ive got a bit an issue that I would like the opinion or expertise of the masses on.
went out to a tenanted flat today as tenant has said socket was no working, when e arrived there was no power on the braided 2.5 single T&E coming into the socket. further investigation found all radials in the flat.
when I found the CU I is an old style unit which has asbestos flashguards fitted,
m main question is that I feel that I would not want to advise the tenant that it was safe to rewire the fuse in the event that one blows,
I have in the past poped the flashguards out but of recent I am loathed to do this because a landlord that is tight will never replace the CU then! and deep down I know there is still likely to be fibres present the bottom of the CU.

so just really a straw poll of opinions or if anyone has some black and white hat can wave all the better.

Thanks

Dave
Can you please point me in the right direction as to where I can find this new law, it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Dave

OK...so how much actual asbestos do you think is actually in that bit of woven cloth containing the spash from ruptured fuse wire then?

and just what kind of twaddle is this?

so...if it meets times, has barriers/enclosures intact and is generally of sound for continued service....then what code would you be allotting it then on a pre-change report?

Inform the landlord that to ensure the safety of his tenant he should have an asbestos survey carried out, also inform the tenant of this. We all know we change them and don't bat an eyelid, but it is different in a tenanted situation... a duty of care and safety is there with the onus on the landlord. It may well prove to be safe... but this is covering your arse.

Lack of sockets, height of sockets, and presence of radial circuits .... none of those suggest to me that rewire is needed in the near future. What do you mean ?
he dont know what he bloody means Andy....thats the point...

evening all, see you are all as witty as ever,
so 1 socket per room that was installed as a single and has at some point been converted to a double and radials that have been spurred off of and sockets that are mounted in the skirting boards (553.1.6), all point to me to be incompatible with modern living also the electric bar heater in the bathroom and the switch on the inside are all a give away for me.
I am not suggesting that the cables are knackered, well not until I have tested them but in order to get the installation to a safe and usable standard using the existing cabling would be more costly than redesigning the system and rewiring it imo.
with regard to how much or how little asbestos is in the gauze, I am not aware of how many particles it takes to knacker your lungs, if you are aware please let everyone know.
as for posts relating to this I did search prior to posting as my question was about tenants and their safety rather than guidance in a33 as that doesn't cover my question.

with regard to a CU change in ressy lets at the moment I am going out 4 or 5 times a week to change fuse wire as tenants refuse to do this stating that they are not competent to carry out these tasks, these would be the same tenants who will not climb over 600mm to change a lamp. coupled with the fact that fuse wire does not provide adequate protection as more often than not someone uses incorrectly sized fuse wire and these units have no RCD protection.

if I have missed out anyone please let me know

and thanks to you all for replying.

Never seen braided 2.5 T&E??

As for the the asbestos flash guards being a health hazard to change a fuse wire, ...do me a favour!!!

As for changing the fuse board for a modern CU, of course it would be desirable but unless it contains any code 1 or 2 deficiencies then it's not essential. Oh and fuse wire DOES provide adequate protection, all be it classed as course protection....

Eh, ...how do you ''spur'' of a radial circuit?? If sockets have been mounted in skirting boards, they are going to be the old tall skirting boards, millions of pre-war homes have such skirting boards and most of them will have socket outlets set into them. Providing the plug flex's/cords are being forced against the floor what's the problem??

evening all, see you are all as witty as ever,
so 1 socket per room that was installed as a single and has at some point been converted to a double and radials that have been spurred off of and sockets that are mounted in the skirting boards (553.1.6), all point to me to be incompatible with modern living also the electric bar heater in the bathroom and the switch on the inside are all a give away for me.
I am not suggesting that the cables are knackered, well not until I have tested them but in order to get the installation to a safe and usable standard using the existing cabling would be more costly than redesigning the system and rewiring it imo.
with regard to how much or how little asbestos is in the gauze, I am not aware of how many particles it takes to knacker your lungs, if you are aware please let everyone know.
as for posts relating to this I did search prior to posting as my question was about tenants and their safety rather than guidance in a33 as that doesn't cover my question.

with regard to a CU change in ressy lets at the moment I am going out 4 or 5 times a week to change fuse wire as tenants refuse to do this stating that they are not competent to carry out these tasks, these would be the same tenants who will not climb over 600mm to change a lamp. coupled with the fact that fuse wire does not provide adequate protection as more often than not someone uses incorrectly sized fuse wire and these units have no RCD protection.

if I have missed out anyone please let me know

and thanks to you all for replying.
and i presume you are charging a callout fee....so what are you bleatin about?

and i take it you have verified this for BS3036s using MAX CCC of cable being used have you?

I'm sure if you accidentally open some of the landlords mail and see what else he's being a tight wad about!!!chances are he's not declaring his 2nd property as tenanted and probably paying well below his premium then he can be made to cough up the funds.

Just a point on the height of the sockets

If they are mounted so close to the floor or directly on top of it for that matter, moulded plugs generally fit poorly and wall warts especially are forced in place. The stretching of flex and poor connections in the sockets (due to plugs not being inserted soundly) is cause for concern in my opinion.

i'm just off round the house, checking the walls for warts. you can't be too careful.

Just a point on the height of the sockets

If they are mounted so close to the floor or directly on top of it for that matter, moulded plugs generally fit poorly and wall warts especially are forced in place. The stretching of flex and poor connections in the sockets (due to plugs not being inserted soundly) is cause for concern in my opinion.
Firstly, what is a wall wart?
Secondly, cause for concern or a reason for a rewire?

Reply to asbestos in fuse carriers and tenants changing fuse wire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock