Discuss Asbestos in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hope this is in the right area:
An old work colleague gas recently passed away, I won't say work Mate because I hated the Bloke, he was about a year or 2 older than me and we were Apprentices at the same time. Part of our Apprenticeship all the Lads would spend some time repairing Appliances, Irons, toasters etc ( yes back in the 60s these things were repairable). Anyway this Chaps death has prompted his Widow to pursue a case against our former Employer, not sure how that's going to work out as he has been long gone for about 30 years. My question/point is the elements for these Appliances had Asbestos insulation, and this his what His Widow is aiming to get compensation for, I was only doing this for about a month, unlike him, he did it for years, question is what are your thoughts regarding Asbestos contamination from these items, my own thoughts are not a chance?

Also the cause of death on the death certificate at the time will be a factor. It may be difficult to prove.

I have been to two funerals recently for friends who died from asbestosis. As far as I understand there was a court case and the makers of asbestos put a large sum in a pot and if you can prove you were damaged due to asbestos you can get a payout, but I don't think it is a huge sum.
One of the people that I knew that died was a mates mother, her husband had owned a garage and they recon she got it from washing his overalls (clutches and brake shoes had asbestos in them). I know she definitely got a payout before she died.
The other case was a school friend, served his time as a joiner then joined the army, did 30 years then became a tree surgeon. He died in his mid 50s. He reconned he got it while he was an apprentice.
[automerge]1577628814[/automerge]
I should also add that both these people had a fairly long painful illness prior to dying and both had been told it was asbestos was the cause.
Back in the seventies and eighties I was an apprentice then electrician with the local Electricity Board. We had been told of the dangers of asbestos but every one was pretty blasé about it, We regularly stripped out old storage heaters to replace them with new ones and worked with a lot of old fuses ect, so I know I was exposed to a fair bit of asbestos. Fingers crossed I will be one of the lucky ones, I am 60 soon, so far so good.

Last edited:
I have been to two funerals recently for friends who died from asbestosis. As far as I understand there was a court case and the makers of asbestos put a large sum in a pot and if you can prove you were damaged due to asbestos you can get a payout, but I don't think it is a huge sum.
One of the people that I knew that died was a mates mother, her husband had owned a garage and they recon she got it from washing his overalls (clutches and brake shoes had asbestos in them). I know she definitely got a payout before she died.
The other case was a school friend, served his time as a joiner then joined the army, did 30 years then became a tree surgeon. He died in his mid 50s. He reconned he got it while he was an apprentice.
[automerge]1577628814[/automerge]
I should also add that both these people had a fairly long painful illness prior to dying and both had been told it was asbestos was the cause.
Back in the seventies and eighties I was an apprentice then electrician with the local Electricity Board. We had been told of the dangers of asbestos but every one was pretty blasé about it, We regularly stripped out old storage heaters to replace them with new ones and worked with a lot of old fuses ect, so I know I was exposed to a fair bit of asbestos. Fingers crossed I will be one of the lucky ones, I am 60 soon, so far so good.
I really sorry to hear about your friends , unfortunately I deal with a large number of claims for people diagnosed with asbestos illnesses a lot of them from plumber and electrician's
always happy to try help and advise

As an apprentice we often went through asbestos with drills hammers like it was any other material, even the high risk stuff, it always sits in the back of my mind if I will get it as genetics apparently plays a part too to those who's lungs will react to the fibres in a way it can long term before recognition lead to death, I lost my Grandad to it (Mesothelioma) so I expect I may be prone, also my town has a nasty historic history as a major employer was a company that made brake pads and this was a major ingredient of the process.

Deaths around here from Asbestosis or Mesothelioma are all too common unfortunately.

As an apprentice we often went through asbestos with drills hammers like it was any other material, even the high risk stuff, it always sits in the back of my mind if I will get it as genetics apparently plays a part too to those who's lungs will react to the fibres in a way it can long term before recognition lead to death, I lost my Grandad to it (Mesothelioma) so I expect I may be prone, also my town has a nasty historic history as a major employer was a company that made brake pads and this was a major ingredient of the process.

Deaths around here from Asbestosis or Mesothelioma are all too common unfortunately.
I

There are certain areas as you indicate where there is more asbestos and heavy exposuer .As ypu quite rigjtly say it was used in brake linning and there manufactuer
I work helping to to represent people who have been exposured to asbestos .
Happy to call if ypu ever need any advice and help
All the best

The Forum welcomes your expertise in these matters and any advise you can offer is more than appreciated, may I ask if you do this service on a charitable basis or as a career, the reason I ask is if it is the latter then we would ask you just to be aware of Forum rules on advertising and promotion where you have a vested interest, we have excellent opportunities in sponsoring our Forum if interested where you would then be free to promote your business/services or ones you have vested interests in.
In the mean time feel free to interact in posts while respecting our rules in these matters and don't hesitate to drop myself or other members of staff a PM if your have any questions or are interested in sponsoring.

Last edited:
The Forum welcomes your expertise in these matters and any advise you can offer is more than appreciated, may I ask if you do this service on a charitable basis or as a career, the reason I ask is if it is the latter then we would ask you just to be aware of Forum rules on advertising and promotion where you have a vested interest, we have excellent opportunities in sponsoring our Forum if interested where you would then be free to promote your business/services or ones you have vested interests in.
In the mean time feel free to interact in posts while respecting our rules in these matters and don't hesitate to drop myself or other members of staff a PM if your have any questions or are interested in sponsoring.
Thank you .i will tske a look at the forum rules and be happy to
Thank you .i will review the rules and be happy to.look at sponsorship..can you contact me directly regards

Reply to Asbestos in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock