Discuss Ashley & Rock CU no RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Was called out to a job to fix some damaged sockets for a landlord between tenants. Found this old Ashley & Rock CU.
Advised landlord that it is non-compliant, no RCD, mixed manufacturers etc. and that it should really be upgraded before he rents out again. Her response was that it's always been like that and there have not been any problems and I am only trying to create work for myself.
I have made the damaged socket safe (The original job).
As the property is for rental I am tempted to contact the council housing dept and report it, just wondering what the groups group's thoughts were.

20190601_101941.jpg

just advise landlady (in writing or email and keep a hard copy) that the CU is not compliant and you recommend upgrading. end of.

There’s no requirement in BS7671 for a CU to contain an RCD.
The prohibition on mixing different manufacturer’s devices has only come about because of the new standard introduced in amendment 3 of the 17th.
Prior to that, you could mix and match, as long as each component had a breaking capacity greater than the PFC.

Yes circuits of a location containing a bath or shower now require RCD protection, as do lighting circuits.

Yes the CU doesn’t comply with the latest edition of the Regulations.
However there is no requirement to upgrade to the latest edition, if the installation complied with the Regulations at the time of design.

As far as rental properties go , that consumers unit if one of the better ones you are likely to see....
Nearly every one I see has massive holes in the front from missing blanks.

You're joking aren't you ?
what legislation will you be quoting that requires RCDs to be fitted in rented accommodation ?
Best give Hager a call too as they will confirm that those breakers are a direct match and they have no problem with their current range being used with that CU.

I wouldn't say anything not your problem, note on the Minor Works if you supply one additional rcd protection not provided.

I do love a bit of baiting
The issue of the mixed mcb’s is interesting, I’ll have to call Hager on Monday to confirm that.
Wouldn’t bother with the council as it is not worth the hassle and was probably a bit of a knee jerk comment. To add fuel to the fire,I did find this on New tougher electrical safety standards to protect private tenants - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-tougher-electrical-safety-standards-to-protect-private-tenants

There are existing regulatory requirements to help protect tenants:

• mandatory 5 yearly electrical installation checks for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

• the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 requires landlords to keep installations in the property, including the supply of electricity, in good repair and proper working order

• building regulations since 2010 have required all circuits in new or rewired homes to comply with the wiring rules in BS 7671 and include the installation of a Residual Current Device (RCD) covering any new circuits in the consumer unit since July 2008

• local authorities have powers, through the Housing Act 2004, to take action where there are electrical hazards in a property

On your third point, the wiring regs do not require any new circuit to have RCD protection, not under the 17th or 18th edition.

A landlord is legally obliged to ensure the property is electrically safe and it is only HMOs where a Periodic Inspection is stipulated. The lack of additional rcd protection does not necessarily imply it is not safe.

I remember the days when we relied upon a fuse or MCB to operate. We seem to be heavily reliant on RCD/RCBO's that are in most cases never tested so when relied on to operate stick.

Reply to Ashley & Rock CU no RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net