Discuss asked to do work alone that you dont feel competent enough for ? worried about losing my job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So recently i have been given a lot of changes to the work im used to, quick example = im ok with single phase boards but i am not competent or confident enough in three phase. My boss is a very angry guy..... should i just go for it or should i refuse until i have training ?

cheers

If you don't feel confident that you can do the job safely then don't do it. It's not just you that you could kill or injure.Tell your boss that you need the training. If you can't talk to him then put it in writing to him.

So recently i have been given a lot of changes to the work im used to, quick example = im ok with single phase boards but i am not competent or confident enough in three phase. My boss is a very angry guy..... should i just go for it or should i refuse until i have training ?

cheers

I always find this to be a slightly odd statement. You can connect circuits which comprise of two live conductors, but you can't connect another two wires?

Last edited:

cheers
Steve you have to go for it. He’s not asking you to do it hot I’m not sure about the way y’all do it but we black, red, and blue on 240 and brown orange and yellow. Probably the wrong colors but you can do it. It’s just wires

cheers
What has he actually asked you to do?

I always find this to be a slightly odd statement. You can connect circuits which comprise of two live conductors, but you can't connect another two wires?
I always find it odd, when competent persons chastise unconfident persons about not being competent in work they are not confident in doing, when they themselves have only become competent because they have years of experience and have become confident. :)

Confidence comes with experience.... experience comes with actually doing the job.
And fear leads to the dark side... but that’s another story...

your installation will be tested? So carry on and do your best. As mentioned above regarding colours.

there is an issue here with a boss that thinks it’s ok to get angry. What are we talking about here? Effing and blinding, or likely to sack you?
Not worth working for him, in my opinion.
could be a case for unfair dismissal or bullying in the workplace. (We don’t know all the details or the seriousness of his actions, so take this advice with caution)

I had a boss who was awful many years ago now.
One day I was 2 hours late so I went into his office and said, 'Sorry I'm late boss but I fell down the stairs' he replied, 'that doesn't take 2 hours'
I was an Apprentice, and had to bus it to work, one particular morning the bus was late and as I turned the corner at just 08:00 in the morning my Boss was out side the shop telling me to hurry up and run, stupidly I laughed, he sent me home for a week was never late again, lessons learned never forgotten.

Its always a bit daunting being sent to do a job out of the comfort zone.
I have done loads of single phase domestic boards so many that I could wire a domestic board with my eyes shut , but not too many 3 phase boards so would really have to think about it.
Take your time and learn on the job is the best...

Love all the answers , some people really wouldn't make good managers with there answers lol , I was a project manager before I decided to take a career change and try a bit of install instead... the whole point was me feeling abit unconfident in solving a problem if one occured , I did the job today and it all went well , took me 6hrs and with a test , it was the fact that it have 3 other 3phase dis boards next to it and 3 isolator switches and with ---- loads of messy cables , I was not confident this morning , but now I am sure of myself.... thanks for the comments

Reply to asked to do work alone that you dont feel competent enough for ? worried about losing my job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net