Discuss Assessment / Install questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mat-sparks

Hi All,

I soon have my Assessment with Elecsa (1st one) a friend of mine needs some work doing so am going to take advantage of this and use it as my Major works...

I have a couple of questions though.. (as I am obviously nervous and worried about covering everything correctly)

My friend needs his new hot tub wiring up...

Hot tub requires (according to rating plate) a 230-240v 16a class c breaker. This is fine, I understand this.
My problem comes in the form of my friends CU being obsolete, so obtaining MCB's for it is a pain anyway let alone finding a Class C.

So The options are, Complete consumer unit change - Friend not so keen on this, which is understandable

Try my luck with a B type which I can get 2nd hand (assessor may not like this if he notices the rating plate says a C)

I could (and this is what I will probably do, subject to peoples opinions) fit a 32a type B to the spare way in the CU, then run 4mm T&E to a small garage style consumer unit which I will locate next to the original CU and in this fit a 16a type C. Then from this run 2.5mm armoured down to Garden and straight into rotary isolator that is supplied with Hot tub.

Or am open to suggestions.

Cheers

If it states on the instructions to use a type c then that's what you should install. No point in giving them ammunition to fail you on. The bgb says follow the manufacturers instruction.
ben

I take it you dont fancy tapping off the incoming tales, using henly block, for the new CU?

Yeah reading that all back it does sound a bit silly.
So as my firend doesn't want to replace the consumer unit, which I can't blame him on, as it's only around 8 yrs old and has RCD protection ETC, the only thing for it really is the seperate Consumer unit.

Just out of curiosity, what make is his CU?

can't see a 8 year old CU being obsolete. as spoon says, what is it? and a pic. would help here.

Am I being thick? The link is just to home page?

I've typed in the name of the CU and Siemens type C and nothing??

Pick SIEMENS MCB / RCBO from the MCB's list on the right hand side and see if any are suitable.

Reply to Assessment / Install questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net