Discuss Assessment requirements in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Nicktric

Just wanted to say thanks for all your advice and help as I passed my first assessment with an A grade. Quite honestly he didn't stand a chance as I hit him for 6 with chocolate Hobnobs and those new toffee dodgers, at one point he couldn't even speak, overwhelmed by the choice so thanks to all for the essential guide to biscuits and tea and all the important advice on the forum.... !

Nice chap as you all said, didn't really trip me up but assertively worked out if I knew enough or not in a short space of time. Interestingly, discussed qualifications and come the 1st of July '11 the requirements change for registration across the board to a level 3 cert for registration, requirements being C&G2330, NVQ2357 or similar. No more EAL Part P + 17th 4 week courses. Does that mean the end of some courses/colleges? Good news if we are to head towards licensing similar to Gas Safe, nothing on the horizon yet though and as he said what chance do we stand when the likes of B&Q sell consumer units?

I think I overdid it for assessment, I rewired the loft and checked every fitting throughout the house, he didn't even check although we were running short on time. Showed him PEFC, PSSC ,Ze ,Zs, RCD (he wanted to see that at a socket outlet not at source), ran out of time and explained R1 + R2 for a ring and values relative to r1, r2. He asked a lot on A-P regs including smoke positions, ventilation rates, structure. He suggested every ceiling spot is fire rated as there are nearly always habitable rooms above.

He caught me out on one thing but didn't put it down as an observation, missing on the MET next to the DNO cutout an 'electrical connection do not remove' label. fair point.

He thought my pre-work surveys were excessive with Zs and IR results but as I said to him, I don't really want to power up a new CU at 5pm when the kids are back from school, parents come home from work and a couple of RCDs fall out. I also noted on the survey a continuity value for gas and water which he said was time consuming and not necessary, and advised good enough if you can see 10mm at the MET...
I Would rather quote and fix the faults prior to the board change but he envisaged jobs lost through this process. Perhaps. He did say I should charge for my pre-work surveys, which aren't PIRs, Maybe but then I envisage lost jobs... tricky, quite happy to cover my back really.
I also filled in the EIC with max Zs values and he advised putting the OSG 80% figure so that you can quickly cross reference the measured Zs to the 80% guide figure.

Otherwise all good!
Thanks again for the tips and nice to be finally bringing some money in after spending ludicrous amounts to get to this stage!

Interestingly, discussed qualifications and come the 1st of July '11 the requirements change for registration across the board to a level 3 cert for registration, requirements being C&G2330, NVQ2357 or similar. No more EAL Part P + 17th 4 week courses. Does that mean the end of some courses/colleges?

Does anyone have any more information on this? Is it true? Are changes going to be made in a few days time?

Thanks Trippedit for taking the time and sharing extensively your joy here. Really am glad for you mate.Spending a fortune you must have but hey, now you've the ticket so you can breathe (for a day or two!). I must say I am also impressed with your thoroughness. Keep it up. Cheers

Does anyone have any more information on this? Is it true? Are changes going to be made in a few days time?

I posted about this at least a year ago but it seemed some thought it was a hoax!

The rule is not retrospective so anyone assessed previously and that is currently a scheme member will not have any additional requirements made of them.

As for spelling the end of some courses, when have training providers ever been bothered about what use a course/qualification has? Bums on seats, that's what it's all about!

lIf you have a Level 3 qualification you are ok. Anything below and the schemes are stopping you from registering apparently.. Not this July though.

does anyone know when

I am registering this week possibly thursday so thats 30th just to be certain as my luck it will be july 1st but i only get told on 2nd

From what I gather its not happening any time soon. Nothing has been confirmed by either the IET main website or the schemes. Its hearsay, possibly started by people wanting to make the industry water tight.

Alot of people are saying it is the NVQ3 that you need. This isn't true its a level 3 qualification.

Bruce If you have the 2391 you are level 3 and fine!

Hi mate yeah
i have
2391-10
2382-10
2393-100 building rgs
logic competence achievment full and defined scopes
and the private training providers own useless cheap printed certs

registered and started 2330 lv3 and may be also going to be allowed to just do lv2 exams
registered for nvq lv3 2356 not started yet

upto nearly £7k by time enrolled with elecsa and paid for pli and indemnity

as well as trying to be a carer dog walker dads taxi lol

going to be doing a full rewire at the mother in laws for assesment
so best get it right not for elecsa for my own piece of mind lol

oh 25 yrs on and off with electrical installation since giving my JIB apprenticeship up like a fool i could be retired now lol

Last edited:
also i have a question when doing smokes for a rewire 2 bed ionisation
one hall at bottom of stairs one landing at top 300m from walls lights etc etc not over stairs

do they need providing with a means of isolation for maintainance
so they can be isolated without isolating local preferable lighting circuit on domestic rather than dedicated as Elecys guide to building regs state
either by key switch, FCU or DP switch?????

no heat detector kitchen as it has door so no need

Last edited:
Question about Elecsa, what's the timescale from the date of application till the day of assessment and (hopefully) acceptance? I hear the NIC has long waits, 3 months or so I hear. Anyone?

cheers malcolm it would be useful if all the relevent books were to go into more detail as you have
I read in elecys guide says a means of isolation without switching off the lighting circuit and yes the heads are detachable
they are ionisation with battery back up

Hi sparks

I rang last week and they said 6 weeks at present

Hi Sparks, yes that's right mine came through in 6 weeks. My assessor did say it was going to be from the 1st of July 11 for the new requirements but he said I would have been Okay anyway as they would have accepted the fact I was enrolled on L3 2330. He also confirmed it is a level 3 qualification requirement not just the NVQ but 2382 is level 3 so I'm sure there will be confusion. I'm sure the colleges are frantically putting together the quickest level 3 Fast track route they can but it's a step in the right direction for us!
Does anyone know if there is another assessment process for a JIB card or can it be applied for if you are registered with a scheme provider? I also registered for Trust Mark would anyone else recommend this?
Brucelee you should be on the lecture circuit with that lot, wish I'd gone the 2330 L3 route as found the L2 a real drag with all the EAWR, H&S etc.. thought you had to do the L2 first so fair play to you!

I read in elecys guide says a means of isolation without switching off the lighting circuit and yes the heads are detachable
they are ionisation with battery back up

I got caught out the other day was looking for reason for very low IR results on lighting. No means of disconnecting smokes so just removed the heads, spent ages trying to find a lamp, coil led etc in the end realised the bases were radio linked with a tiny hard to spot led on the base, disconnected the bases job done, but wasted time.

Hi Sparks, yes that's right mine came through in 6 weeks. My assessor did say it was going to be from the 1st of July 11 for the new requirements but he said I would have been Okay anyway as they would have accepted the fact I was enrolled on L3 2330. He also confirmed it is a level 3 qualification requirement not just the NVQ but 2382 is level 3 so I'm sure there will be confusion. I'm sure the colleges are frantically putting together the quickest level 3 Fast track route they can but it's a step in the right direction for us!
Does anyone know if there is another assessment process for a JIB card or can it be applied for if you are registered with a scheme provider? I also registered for Trust Mark would anyone else recommend this?
Brucelee you should be on the lecture circuit with that lot, wish I'd gone the 2330 L3 route as found the L2 a real drag with all the EAWR, H&S etc.. thought you had to do the L2 first so fair play to you!

level 3 can be done as stand alone qual
I have asked about doing lv2 as well or just the exams and it may be possible to do lv2 exams when lv2 student sod them same time but this will mean doing all the lv2 and 3 exams same time lol my head will hurt lots lol
Mate to get JIB you need to get registered for lV3 NVQ 2356

I got caught out the other day was looking for reason for very low IR results on lighting. No means of disconnecting smokes so just removed the heads, spent ages trying to find a lamp, coil led etc in the end realised the bases were radio linked with a tiny hard to spot led on the base, disconnected the bases job done, but wasted time.

I asked elecsa about fittng isolation when smokes wired from regular used lighting circuit and they said a unswitched FCU as it got to be a means of seprate isolation but not by switching??????????????????????????????????????????????????//
building regs are a joke lol

I asked elecsa about fittng isolation when smokes wired from regular used lighting circuit and they said a unswitched FCU as it got to be a means of seprate isolation but not by switching??????????????????????????????????????????????????//
building regs are a joke lol
MyElecsa chap wanted to talk lots about smokes, ambiguous area so needs clarifying in the regs, but he liked to see separate circuit back to lighting MCB.

Reply to Assessment requirements in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock