Discuss Astro plaster in down lights.. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spec

Hay guys new here...
I'm going to been given some plaster in down lights to fit by my client. They are made by Astro. Has any body any experience with these fittings. I've fitted the Collingwood version many times. They are a 2 part fitting Bezal and an led unit with built in driver connecting to the main wiring with a in line plug and socket arrangement so in the event you need to get to the terminals you simply pull the fitting down and disconnect the plug. Simple. This Astro fitting once plastered in the ceiling allows no chance of ever getting back to the connections... And they are not maintenance free. What do you guys think??

What size is the cutout? If not maintenance free just make sure they are terminated well and don't tell the customer that if they ever need fixing you'll have to pull it out along with the plaster!
As long as the lamps are changeable then go with it. I think the collingwood
ones are a great looking result and the sign of the times.
If the client has supplied though - advise of the need for removal in the unlikely event of failure.

The Astro range appears to be a GU10 socket type, so presumably the lamp is replaceable post installation.

The termination of cables behind the luminaire should be none maintained type unless you can guarantee access from above or provide access hatches by each fitting. I'm sure some of the Wago clips (ones with orange levers) are considered non-maintained. Other manufacturers available.

How offen do you get a conventional, spring-retained recessed spot which wreaks the ceiling when you yank it out. Hate the things.

Is it the Astro trimless 240V?
If so then the instructions show that you connect the fitting after plastering and fit it in to the plastered in sleeve. So presumably it will come out again the same way.

Is it the Astro trimless 240V?
If so then the instructions show that you connect the fitting after plastering and fit it in to the plastered in sleeve. So presumably it will come out again the same way.
There you go - moral of story READ THE INSTRUCTIONS or at least let Davesparks read them and then tell you!

Reply to Astro plaster in down lights.. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net