Discuss Attaching an earth tag to a vintage lamp holder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Attaching an earth tag to a vintage lamp holder IMG_0047 - EletriciansForums.net

This is the lamp holder I'm working with now - I have a few that are similar - i.e. switched and without an integral earth :)

Those earth tags appear to be designed to attach externally, probably to the base fitting, but would need to be secured with the correct size nut to be reliable for earthing purposes.

You can readily buy lampholders with integral earth terminals in all types of finish. An example is pictured.Attaching an earth tag to a vintage lamp holder 2019-04-07 12.05.00 - EletriciansForums.net

You can get replacement brass lamp holders with earth terminals but you are likely to have thread compatibility issues as new holders will be metric and your studding imperial.

You would probably be best to buy a new antique brass lampholder with integral earth connection.
However you could retro fit an earth terminal to the lampholder.
Attaching an earth tag to a vintage lamp holder earth terminal single - EletriciansForums.net
If your parts are original they are likely to not be 10mm and instead 1/2" imperial. As Andy78 says the tags pictured are designed to go below the whole fitting where it attaches to the base.

I have in the past removed the earth terminal from a new holder (they are quite easy to remove) drill the base of the old holder and solder in place. This is a last resort in the OPs case as I had the luxury of bits and pieces of lamp holders.

Thanks everyone - just to reiterate - the earth tags I showed are really for lamp bases not to be introduced in a lamp holder. I don't really want to always use a new lamp holder because some of the old ones have beautiful switches and are also more nicely made than modern ones frankly. Therefore, my best option is to create a small hole in an old lamp holder and add an earthing nut either from a spare I have floating around or finding one to purchase. Correct? Thanks again!

You would probably be best to buy a new antique brass lampholder with integral earth connection.
However you could retro fit an earth terminal to the lampholder.
View attachment 48702
If your parts are original they are likely to not be 10mm and instead 1/2" imperial. As Andy78 says the tags pictured are designed to go below the whole fitting where it attaches to the base.
Do you know where I could just get this small earth? I've looked at some spares I have with integral earthing tags and they are not removable...

Do you know where I could just get this small earth? I've looked at some spares I have with integral earthing tags and they are not removable...
I think you can find them on ebay, possibly CEF, discount electrical, i thought one of the lamp spares websites had them.

Reply to Attaching an earth tag to a vintage lamp holder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock