Discuss Attempting to future-proofing my in-home wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm having to re-wire almost my entire 3 bedroom house, which I know will be extremely disruptive (I'll be moving as much stuff out the house as possible, and hopefully moving out entirely for a week or so whilst a professional does the actual re-wire).
I have very little money to spend on anything fancy, but want to 'future proof' the rewire as much as possible in order to hopefully add some value to the house, or to ready it in case I get lucky with the lottery and can afford stuff in future!

So I'm thinking of doing the wiring for an in-house security system, an in-house multi-zone audio system, and in-house wired network BUT to have absolutely nothing connected to the ends. [I can't afford these systems at present. But the wiring will be there for the future, at least].

So my question is basically, how should I terminate the wirings in each room?
For example, if I had a CAT5c/6 cable run to the corner of my living room (for a future security camera, say), how should I terminate it initially? Is there a 'junction box with a blank panel' of some sort, that I could later 'connect to'?
Similarly for the audio cables (to many different rooms). I don't have the money to put in-ceiling speakers in yet, but could I terminate the speaker wire with a blanked 'connector' panel of some sort? [cheap, because it would be thrown away at some point when upgraded].

If terminated behind the ceiling or wall, I'd at least need some precise indication of where Id need to 'break through' to find the cable.

Do you see what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for your expertise and thoughts.

You can get various keystones for networking and AV, you'd terminate to those (no need to blank, just go straight to terminate) and then plug your accessories into the new ports provided.

Failing that just leave the wires unstripped to protect the conductors and use a "standard 1G 2G blanking plate.

Blanking plate; LAP 1-Gang Blanking Plate White - https://www.screwflix..com/p/lap-1-gang-blanking-plate-white/65793?kpid=65793&ds_kid=92700048793290388&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1249401&gclid=CjwKCAiA58fvBRAzEiwAQW-hzdhywa5AF7bkLihxhWa4973v0790Fo81JSWaYZASC_ROqaq0R62euBoC-KIQAvD_BwE

Keystones;
https://www.screwflix..com/c/electrical-lighting/modules/cat5240038

Frames; LAP 1-Gang Front Plate with Double Module Aperture White - https://www.screwflix..com/p/lap-1-gang-front-plate-with-double-module-aperture-white/42092

You'll also find blanking plates in the above section too.

Bare in mind that a single backbox fits 2 modules and a double backbox fits 4

Last edited:
Reactions: DPG
Thanks for that.
I just didn't know the terminology (e.g. 'Keystone') so had trouble finding what I wanted on the web.
Thanks again.

Just put the back boxes in, leave the cables coiled in the boxes and put a blank face plate on.

Put more network cables in than you think.

I.e tv point wants 4 at the minimum
Smart tv
DVD player
X box
Sky box

They may all require a network point

Think about a point to each place in the house you might want a WiFi access point

Also, insist that a neutral is provided to every light switch point. Even if not used now.

Also, insist that a neutral is provided to every light switch point. Even if not used now.

This would be for future smart switches that require a neutral to operate.

There are lighting circuits that only have a live and a switched live at the switch. Others have a neutral joint already in the switch box that can be utilised.

Thanks for all the added details. It all seems very sensible, but I would never have thought to specify it like this if you hadn't advised me.
Thanks a lot. :)

Reply to Attempting to future-proofing my in-home wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock