Discuss August 2391-10 taken today in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Richard Burns

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi
I have just sat the 2391-10 exam today and I am running it through far too much in my mind.

So thought I would post.

Did any one else do this and what did they think?
I got stuck on some grammatical errors in the questions but overall felt it was fairly typical, hopeful on a pass but just have to wait and see (for ages).
Messed up an 8 point question not seeing the wood for the trees and putting in too many instrument tests (is an approved voltage tester an "instrument?") but overall I think it went well.
Good luck to all who took the exam.

Hi i took 2391 last nite, its now 6am brain gone to mush can`t remember anything,
just know i felt good when i came out.

@widdler Oh dear that means the pass mark will be quite high and I messed up an 8 mark answer.

I felt that the questions for A were pretty standard, nothing fancy; fairly sure I dropped at least three marks due to not remembering the precise wording on a specific paragraph in GN3! and a couple of forgetting bits.
Section B I felt was OK but there really wasn't enough clarity on the circuits to be able to refer to them with ease in the answers. The questions were fairly clear cut but I could not work out the marks for one of them and got bogged down for half an hour trying to add things to the answer and got it wrong.
My calculation of IR gave 2.11Mohm which gave me a lot of hassle thinking I was wrong (which I might be) as it is theoretically according to the regs totally fine (just).

Just sat it myself last night I also put voltage indicator yes! And rt was 2.11ohms which requires circuits to be tested separately well that's what I put!

know what you mean,I thought after the exam time to chill fat chance more wound up now than ever.

hi lads, also sat this exam last night, to be honest i thought it was fairly easy. The only one question i had to go back to answer as my mind went blank was question 2 about:

What 3 curcumstances would you require a minor works cert. lol

Of all the questions that got me.

Oh and on section B, state 5 items that you would check on the new install of the stell conduit/trunking before putting cables in.
I put check bend radius
check for appropriate use of inspection bends
Check for burrs on end of conduit/trunking
Check the capacity of the containment is adequate allowing for air gap
Check fixings, i.e sadles are secure and collectly spaced

Hope im on the right lines with that one, other than that i revised pretty much what was required.lol

Seems lots of people dropped marks on the simple Insulation resistance calculation in my group any how.

Good luck to all hope we all get the results we need

Last edited:
I did the August exam and like all of you are now playing the waiting game with fingers crossed, good luck everyone who took the exam. See if i'm as happy in a month or so time when the results come out.

I put same answers for the containment question, oh I remember 1 question was name 3 items of an installation where polarity check would be done not including skts

That question caught me out as I did not remember that the exact wording in GN3 says "socket outlets and similar accessories, correctly connected"; this was pasted in to the question (probably to help) and I read it as excluding all accessories and correct connections which does not leave you with much!
answer should have been any of fuses, single pole control and protection devices, multipole switches, screw fit centre contact lampholders (excluding some E14 & E27).
I think I dropped marks for that one!

On the checks required on conduit and trunking before cabling is installed I again misread the question but did cover all the above except the inspection boxes. However as an idiot I missed reading part b) and did not answer the "describe in detail how to do the above checks and state the sense used in each case" (10 marks down the drain)

The question state the effect on the operation of a circuit breaker when it is connected in the neutral conductor only in the event of: line -earth fault, live-live short, overload on circuit,

This annoyed me as the correct interpretation of the question says what happens to the "operation of the circuit breaker" and in all cases the answer is nothing because the circuit breaker will retain its operational function.
this should have been worded either state the effect on a circuit if a circuit breaker is connected in the neutral conductor only... or state how the circuit breaker operates when it is connected in the neutral condcutor only...

an electrical installation 230V public supply with maximum permitted voltage drop (in volts) for a lighting circuit, 8kw electric shower, 12kw cooker, had me worried as i think it is 6.9v, 11.5v, 11.5v but can't see the purpose of the three answers except to catch you out. have I got this wrong somewhere?

Reply to August 2391-10 taken today in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock