Discuss Australia trade test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mikey

Does anyone know what is involved in the practical test for an australia skilled work visa,

Also is it really easy to find work once your out there?

Cheers

Don't know about the practical test, but guess it would be on the lines of the AM2 test over here.
One thing to know, dont do a ring main over there, it scares the jeepers out of them and they just dont understand a dual fed circuit. You'll get :89:if you do it.

Was there a several years back and if you got ya license it should be easy to get work. If you head west to Kalgoorlie area you can earn big dollars on the gold mine sites/refinarys. I was on $1200 a week + $75 a week put aside for redundancy when the job finished (doing 13 days on, 1 off....) And that was as a trade assistant/sparkies mate. All I done was pull in cables and ty-rapping them down in the glorious sunny bush land. There are good opportunitys if you wanna work hard. But that was 2003 ish

If you want to do anything electrical in Australia you need to be licenced, hence doing the trade test which identifies any gaps in your skills. Most likely you will have to go to college when you get there to get up to speed on how things are done. You also need to get all your qualifications assessed and if you they are suitable you will be issued an Australian Trade certificate. Once you have been to college and passed out you need to send the trade certificate and college results away and you will be issued a Licence. It's the same for aussies except they get there trade certificate at the end of their apprnticeship. A dam site harder to be an Electrician over there than it is here, you can't go and do a 3 week course then head out into the big wide world.

Ok thanks, looks pretty straightforward.

If anyone has any other tips or advice on australia, getting work over there etc id be interested to hear.

Also....

Do you think its easier to make money and gain good experience over there compared to England, iv just come out my time and work is fairly slow and not that well paid.

Cheers

You need the Vettassess to get a visa now.
then apply for an ARTC certificate and do the wiring rules course you can get a licence within 2 weeks in SA

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been here 3 years. I have got my Electrical contractors Licence, Builders Licence,CEC Design and Install (solar).
Do 2 solar installs a day 1.5Kw to 2Kw. Work with another sparks and split the money 50/50 normally about a $1000 each a day.

You can make more money by using a TA I used to pay mine $250 a job

Crikey, mega bucks!

Cheers mate, im going to have a look into those courses, did you do all that in oz or was it somthing you'd been doing over here first?

Reply to Australia trade test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock