Discuss Australian A grade qualifications in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Welsh Jeff

Hi folks
i'm new to this so here we go.......
I am about to emigrate to Australia in 12 months time and need to gain Aussie accreditation (A grade status) Does any one know if I can do this in the UK before I leave? Any info on this matter would be gratefully received.

Hi folks
i'm new to this so here we go.......
I am about to emigrate to Australia in 12 months time and need to gain Aussie accreditation (A grade status) Does any one know if I can do this in the UK before I leave? Any info on this matter would be gratefully received.
Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum:DHad a look on the web,can't find anything.I know there is an ex-pat forum on the web.They might be able to help.
Electrical Engineering Technician 3123-13 - Australian Skills Recognition Information
This other link looks similar to the UK 2382-10 17th edition
http://www.peer.com.au/Portals/0/PDF/Upskilling/WiringRulesAS2007.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jeff,

Was looking into this earlier on today actually for myself...........

You need to get in touch with "Vetassess" who "......conducts trade skills assessments under the General Skilled Migration Program (GSM) for people with trade skills intending to migrate to Australia from the United Kingdom......"

Assess my trade skills - VETASSESS

Costs $600 AUS for the paper based assesment, and then $1600 AUS for the practical, all of which can be done in the UK before you go, so when you get there you already have all the paperwork.

Which on top of the $2525 for the VISA starts to add up!

(Source http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/professionals-outside-australia.htm )

If anyone knows anything to the contary please post as it's also of interest to myself.

Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum:DHad a look on the web,can't find anything.I know there is an ex-pat forum on the web.They might be able to help.
Electrical Engineering Technician 3123-13 - Australian Skills Recognition Information
This other link looks similar to the UK 2382-10 17th edition
http://www.peer.com.au/Portals/0/PDF/Upskilling/WiringRulesAS2007.pdf

Electrical Engineering Technician is worth 40 points but.......

Electrician (General) 4311-11
Electrician (General) 4311-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Is worth 60......

If points matter to you........

Hi Jeff,

Was looking into this earlier on today actually for myself...........

You need to get in touch with "Vetassess" who "......conducts trade skills assessments under the General Skilled Migration Program (GSM) for people with trade skills intending to migrate to Australia from the United Kingdom......"

Assess my trade skills - VETASSESS

Costs $600 AUS for the paper based assesment, and then $1600 AUS for the practical, all of which can be done in the UK before you go, so when you get there you already have all the paperwork.

Which on top of the $2525 for the VISA starts to add up!

(Source http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/professionals-outside-australia.htm )

If anyone knows anything to the contary please post as it's also of interest to myself.

Electrical Engineering Technician is worth 40 points but.......

Electrician (General) 4311-11
Electrician (General) 4311-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Is worth 60......

If points matter to you........

thanks for the info. i do have a visa and a skills visa for electrician special class, does this mean anything?

Well the two types of electrician I could see on the skills list are:

Electrician - General Electrician 4311-11
General:
Installs, tests, connects, commissions, maintains and modifies electrical equipment, wiring and control systems.

Tasks Include:
  • examines wiring diagrams and installation areas to plan layout of wiring systems
  • responds to break downs, diagnoses and repairs electrical systems and ancillary equipment
  • positions and installs electrical switchboards
  • installs sheathed cables
  • measures, cuts and installs plastic conduit and pulls wires through
  • splices, twists and solders wires and applies tape or terminal caps
  • connects installed wires to circuit breakers, transformers, timers and other electrical equipment
  • installs and connects items such as switches, lighting fixtures and earthing systems
  • connects electrical systems to power supply
  • tests continuity of circuit
  • may install, modify, maintain and repair electrical equipment such as storage heaters, water heaters, lighting, motors, electric signs or switchboards

Electrician - Special Class 4311-13
General:</B>

Services and repairs intricate and complex electrical or electronic circuitry.​

Tasks Include:
  • diagnoses and repairs faults in electrical circuitry which is of a complex nature
  • analyses drawings and specifications to determine sequences and methods of operation
  • uses electrical and electronic test instruments to trace faults
  • dismantles units, repairs or replaces defective components and re-assembles them
  • test-operates and monitors the performance of systems, and adjusts settings
  • records causes of malfunctioning and action taken
  • may service and repair circuitry in prototype and other non-standard units
  • may service and repair components of electrical equipment powered by hydraulic, pneumatic or other non-electrical energy sources
What type of Visa have you got?

E.g. Skilled - Independent - Migrant (subclass 175) visa​

Well the two types of electrician I could see on the skills list are:

Electrician - General Electrician 4311-11
General:
Installs, tests, connects, commissions, maintains and modifies electrical equipment, wiring and control systems.

Tasks Include:
  • examines wiring diagrams and installation areas to plan layout of wiring systems
  • responds to break downs, diagnoses and repairs electrical systems and ancillary equipment
  • positions and installs electrical switchboards
  • installs sheathed cables
  • measures, cuts and installs plastic conduit and pulls wires through
  • splices, twists and solders wires and applies tape or terminal caps
  • connects installed wires to circuit breakers, transformers, timers and other electrical equipment
  • installs and connects items such as switches, lighting fixtures and earthing systems
  • connects electrical systems to power supply
  • tests continuity of circuit
  • may install, modify, maintain and repair electrical equipment such as storage heaters, water heaters, lighting, motors, electric signs or switchboards

Electrician - Special Class 4311-13

General:</B>

Services and repairs intricate and complex electrical or electronic circuitry.​

Tasks Include:

• diagnoses and repairs faults in electrical circuitry which is of a complex nature
  • analyses drawings and specifications to determine sequences and methods of operation
  • uses electrical and electronic test instruments to trace faults
  • dismantles units, repairs or replaces defective components and re-assembles them
  • test-operates and monitors the performance of systems, and adjusts settings
  • records causes of malfunctioning and action taken
  • may service and repair circuitry in prototype and other non-standard units
  • may service and repair components of electrical equipment powered by hydraulic, pneumatic or other non-electrical energy sources
What type of Visa have you got?

E.g. Skilled - Independent - Migrant (subclass 175) visa​

Got it in one Skilled - Independent - Migrant (subclass 175) visa. I would like to carry on "house bashing" when I get to OZ but need an A grade certificate

Hi, I'm doing the day assesment in Brisbane in 2 weeks, would you know what it involves? cheers.

Do you realise this thread is 5 YEARS OLD??

Hope you've got more than a electrical trainee training then, or they will be showing you the door, long before the day's assessment is up!! lol!!!

Reply to Australian A grade qualifications in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net