Discuss Australian consumer unit.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
How often have you come across a consumer unit fitted......upside down??
Now, I’ve seen quite a few fitted sideways where space was a problem, but I think this is the first for me. No obvious reason for this, plenty of room, circuits were long enough and routing of tails wasn’t a problem. It took me a second or two to realise what I was looking at.

Wondering how I’d Code this on an EICR.

And yes, I should have taken a photo!

Saw one fixed to the floor in a bedroom once, was not in a corner or against a wall it was over 1' away under the bed!

I'd give it a C3. In an emergency I'd automatically try to isolate things by flipping the main switch down, and would lose possibly precious seconds working out why that didn't apply here. In a fire, perhaps in darkness or dense smoke and unable to see the board clearly, a firefighter would do the same. I'm sure the BS defines which way up the devices must be.

Those were exactly my thoughts Lucien. As I said in my original post, it took me a second or two, to take in what I was looking at ( and this was in relaxed, workaday situation).
Hate to think how someone might manage in an emergency situation.

I can see several disadvantages of the upside down board, and Lucien points out a very good one.
On a lighter note, if you are working on a normal, right way up board, then when you flick the various switches up, you have somewhere to rest your ciggy, so nothing is safe to work on, so just enjoy your break....when the switches are down, break over, and get on with it!
This post was inspired by a recent trip to an antiques fair where I was mesmerised by one of the items on offer...a toilet-roll holder with built in ciggy holder and ashtray! I'm sure you've seen them?
How times change...
(NB: Folks, don't try this at home, or at work...smoking is bad for you, ok?)

35C24CEA-8370-410B-84B9-8A236E22B004.jpeg
I’m sure the manufacturer’s instructions on every consumer unit I’ve examined have stated with some certainty that there is only one way to install them correctly.

Hence the visual aids below.

And no, I didn’t.

Reply to Australian consumer unit.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net