Discuss Auto - 6 volt with a 12 volt battery in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Blitzem

DIY
Reaction score
Is it possible to have a 12volt battery, have it reduced to 6 volt to be compatible with a 6 volt system and still be able to maintain the 12volt battery by way of an inverter or something?

It is possible, however it will be less efficient because of the losses in conversion and expensive if you need much power.
What is the application?

It is possible, however it will be less efficient because of the losses in conversion and expensive if you need much power.
What is the application?
Preserve a 6 volt vehicle system but have the benefits of a 12 volt battery like running accessories and using a common battery between vehicles.

or buy 2 x 6V batteries connected in series. same principal as HGVs with 2 x 12V batteries to get 24V and 12V.

or buy 2 x 6V batteries connected in series. same principal as HGVs with 2 x 12V batteries to get 24V and 12V.

Problem is the vehicle will only have a 6v alternator so can’t charge the 12v battery array you have suggested.
[automerge]1589781861[/automerge]
Hgv
Have have both a 24v alternator and 24v starter motor

You can get a buck converter / DC-DC converter but you won't easily find one powerful enough to run high current devices like windscreen wipers or starter motors.

I'd forget trying to have one battery for the two vehicles, I'd use a 6V battery for the 6V vehicle then fit a 6v-12v DC-DC converter in it to run new accessories like satnav, sound system etc.

Hi,i cannot see a reason why you would not have the original 6V battery.

You will struggle to find an off-the-shelf dropper,to cope with heavy 6V use,from a 12Vbattery,of which the starter will be primary.

You could convert accessories,starter and charging system,to 12 volt,but this would be expensive and may de-value a collectors marque.

You could use a step-up charge controller,to charge a 12V battery from a 6V system,but you would have two batteries,and have to keep that separate,although the earthing would be common.

I am certainly not advocating this,but......as a lad,i had a bench DC power supply,with 6 different voltages,obtained by having an old battery from me mum's Triumph Herald,with 4 carefully fitted woodscrews,allowing 2.2 volts to 12 volts,in steps of 2 ish volts:)

@PEG. I remember these well. :)
They are sill available too.

Attachments

• Auto - 6 volt with a 12 volt battery gby242dpic1_12 - EletriciansForums.net
    gby242dpic1_12.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 3

Reply to Auto - 6 volt with a 12 volt battery in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock