Discuss auto clip gun?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Why is there not a paslode gun for cable clips, or...is there, my thumb is the size of a plumb and the same bloody colour, 30 metres of overhead 2.5 more to go as well
P

Overhead - that's just not right. Agreed there should be one and someone may just know something we don't! Until then . . . Thumb in the G+T with more ice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need to know where you can get a Cowboy hat and spurs to go with the six shooter you have just bought, yeehaa ride em cowboy

Don't think I'd get anything from Acme. My mate reckons their gear is a load of rubbish. Then again his experience is limited to rocket packs, giant catapults, and magnetic roadrunner food.

Yes,the exploding welcome mat,i purchased,had several roadrunners go over it,yet it only detonated after i had jumped up and down on it...

Overhead - that's just not right. Agreed there should be one and someone may just know something we don't! Until then . . . Thumb in the G+T with more ice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, it always happens, a hammer and fiddly little nails = swollen fingers!

I try to buy the cable clips that actually clip on to the cable, that way you don't need to hold the clip whilst hammering. Unless of course your hammer control is a bit dodgy ;)

I'm sure you can get specific staplers for flat twin cable. I'd never use one though.
You do and I've got one somewhere. Most are round staples for telecoms cables but you do get a few staple guns that take square staples for flat twin cable. I don't like using it because it very easy to put a staple into the cable if you're not really careful.

Last edited:
You do and I've got one somewhere. Most are round staples for telecoms cables but you do get a few staple guns that take square staples for flat twin cable. I don't like using it because it very easy to put a staple into the cable if you're not really careful.
Trouble is though, as you probably have experienced, is that unless the gun is bang in line and centred perfect over the cable, and you keep very still, its easy to nick or pierce the cable with a staple.

Yep, sounds like you have first hand experience of one. I think I only used it once about 20 years ago and on a run of about 10 meters I managed to scar or graze the outer sheath at least half a dozen times and penetrated it completely at least once. It was resigned to the bottom of a tool box and it's only been used once since by the mother in law to reupholster her dining room chairs. Maybe the newer versions are a bit more user friendly but I'd advise caution.

**edit** The one I have is a manual type with the spring loaded handle on top. Not sure if the 'Paslode' you mentioned in the OP is a more automatic type or not so maybe my warning won't apply.

Last edited:
Yep, sounds like you have first hand experience of one. I think I only used it once about 20 years ago and on a run of about 10 meters I managed to scar or graze the outer sheath at least half a dozen times and penetrated it completely at least once. It was resigned to the bottom of a tool box and it's only been used once since by the mother in law to reupholster her dining room chairs. Maybe the newer versions are a bit more user friendly but I'd advise caution.

**edit** The one I have is a manual type with the spring loaded handle on top. Not sure if the 'Paslode' you mentioned in the OP is a more automatic type or not so maybe my warning won't apply.

There are tons of so called "time saving" gadgets and gizmos out there that seem like a good idea in principle. That is until you get to use them in practice, it can be so disappointing. The trouble is even after all these years and experience I'm still a sucker and buy them. I have at least 6 shelves in my shed dedicated to them, some still in their boxes like new.
It often reminds me of an old builder I knew. He always turned up onsite with just a hammer, chisel, a few trowels, flat head & star screw drivers, plane, chalk and an old saw. All which he kept in an old tin bucket! "40 years I've been in the game and never needed anything else than me bucket" is what he always said when one of us turned up with a fancy new battery drill or the like.

Last edited:
Guns are only as good as the user aim wrong you hit the cable insulation damage!

We use a Hilti for fixings however
8mm rod hangers into concrete or steel a breeze no messing with a setting tool or wedge nuts
bang done!

Attachments

• 31720_APC_170x150.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 13297_APC_170x150.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 18
I have a Clipson Tower Cable Tacking Gun. It is an excellent tool and as it fires a cable clip and not a staple there is no chance of piercing the cable. It takes a band of 10 clips at a time. Hand operated with a strong hammering force which normally fixes the clip with one press. If additional force is needed subsequent shots can be fired on the same clip. The only trouble is . . .I can't source spare cable clips for it anywhere.

Reply to auto clip gun?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net