Discuss Auto Elec wanted in Swansea area, Harley Davidson in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi bud,how old is it,and what is wrong?
2012 iron 883. Hitting the start button and nothing happening. Replaced battery to a brand new one yesterday. I'm not confident ti strip it apart I really need someone who knows what they are doing to give it a good look at lol

Hasn't got an immobiliser has it? My mates Harley wouldn't start a few years ago and the battery in the key was flat.

Hi,battery charge and connections apart...i would check inhibitors,first. Is it in neutral...side stand up? Switches for these are next check.

Be sure it's in neutral,and find the start relay,this can be bridged at main terminals,which would confirm starter and battery,as good. Next,relay can be powered,to test function,and work backwards from there.

Ignition switch,kill switch and start switch,are all candidates for testing.

To be fair,any half decent auto spark,should not have problems with the first 80% of possible faults.

Kill switches have caught most of us out at some time. And yes, side stand switch is a good call as well Peg.

Have to be honest,these are not the most reliable of machines....a pal of mine,had a brand new fully pimped specimen,for a big trip round France with a team....it had to do the whole journey in the recovery van they took to follow.....electrics had mind issues o_O

And people slag my triumphs off, at least they start and only leak a little oil... :p

Come on Floody, have you checked the key battery yet?

Thanks for replying fellas. I've done the bare necessities like checked the batteries, fob, earths, injectors. I've given up and it's been collected today to be seen to. Fingers crossed its nothing bazzerk, or HD are gonna rinse me ?

I had a problem with it a few months back and rectified it. From the ECU there was no ground to the injectors, which is in series with the fuel pump and coils/plugs. After about 2 days of graft I fixed it by splicing a new earth into it and it started right away, but not without problems. The alarm would start every time I fired it up, until the point that this happened and now it wont start at all m. Fingers crossed

I've never been so offended. Actually I have. Many times.
I'm offended too, passed my test on one then stupidly bought one a few years later for commuting.

They put a smile on my face though, that's the important bit.

And people slag my triumphs off, at least they start and only leak a little oil... :p
when a Triumph stops leaking oil, you know that there is either something wrong or there's no oil in it.
[automerge]1583532242[/automerge]
my last bike was a Matchless 500 single pot. it had an advance/retard lever and an exhaust valve lifter so it didn't chuck you over when it fired up spark was from a magneto, none of these new fangled coils. .... happy days.

Last edited:
The Armstrong user manual is quite interesting. It's got a chapter devoted to how to destroy the bike if it's in danger of falling into enemy hands!

Reply to Auto Elec wanted in Swansea area, Harley Davidson in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net