Discuss Automatic wire strippers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I’m at that stage, painful thumbs on stripping and cutting..
Got a good range cutters from small right through the range.
I have automatic strippers that do t+e and flex.
Also have paslodes for the fine wires.
Last year I bought a pair of weidmuller all in one strippers and boot lace crimpers for panel building, saves me loads of time and pain.

I’ve got a set of weidmuller all in 1
They are the best thing since sliced bread.

I have CK strippers of the variety that don't strip the outer sheath, just the cable ends. I've been pleased with those.

Automatic wire strippers {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I got some of these, seemed like a good idea, but I hate them.

So I bought some of these, and they are one of my best investments....

That looks like a good price for the Strippers and I've been meaning to give the Quickwire jobbies a bash anyway.

The CK wire strippers are about £14 from Toolstation at the moment so I might just get both and see how they go. :)

I'm happy enough with the knife I have at the mo I use the Hultafors ELK and it's the dogs dangly bits.

I've tried all sorts of knives over the years and not got on with most of them but this one I can't do without.

Thanks for the replies Gents. :)
The Quickwire ones work a treat on 1 - 2.5mm cables but after a year mine are starting to slip whilst stripping. Saves a lot of time esp when you are doing lots of ends consecutively..

That looks like a good price for the Strippers and I've been meaning to give the Quickwire jobbies a bash anyway.

The CK wire strippers are about £14 from Toolstation at the moment so I might just get both and see how they go. :)

I'm happy enough with the knife I have at the mo I use the Hultafors ELK and it's the dogs dangly bits.

I've tried all sorts of knives over the years and not got on with most of them but this one I can't do without.

Thanks for the replies Gents. :)
The Quickwire ones work a treat on 1 - 2.5mm cables but after a year mine are starting to slip whilst stripping. Saves a lot of time esp when you are doing lots of ends consecutively..

Many years ago when I was heavily into HiFi stuff I found that stripping, say, speaker cables, required a very sensitive, auto-adjusting tool...
which is why my teeth are in such a bad state, i suppose...

The CK wire strippers are about £14 from Toolstation at the moment ...
I've had a pair like that for many many years, but an "unbranded copy" - so good the manufacturer didn't put their name on them :oops: IIRC I bought them from Halfrauds.
They've taken a fair bit of punishment over the years and are still going strong. Don't like "hard" insulation, not enough grip to create the bite needed.
I often use my wire cutters https://cpc.farnell.com/ck-tools/t3963/cable-cutter-210mm/dp/TL12568 which with a bit of practice make it easy to nick the insulation so the strippers can do their job. Or just "nick and pull". Yes I know, frowns all round as it's easy to nick the core :(
And those cutters take a fair bit of stick - 25mm2 singles, 10mm copper pipe, ... 10 & 16mm2 T&E is a bit of a challenge for them though :rolleyes:
This is at a high-end amateur/dabbling pro level.

I use these for the inner cores & flex outer they are not automatic but easy to use & have a handy length stop: Jokari JOK30900 Allrounder Wire Stripper 4-15mm - https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Jokari-Jok30900-4011391309005-Allrounder-Wire-Stripper-4-15Mm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh_3ClNvI4gIV6LftCh06RQNoEAQYBSABEgKCUPD_BwE

Then I use these for the outer sheathing of T&E & 3C&E, but like most automatic stripper they have their limitations, don’t get into the back of boxes & some sheathing simply won’t pull off but does leave it neat once you get it off, I don’t find them great for the inner cores & wouldn’t buy them again: Klein Self Adjusting Wire Stripper / Cutter(11061) | CEF - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4226136-self-adjusting-wire-stripper-cutter

I actually bought a pair of those automatic wire strippers that every company now seems to make, from SnapOn about 15 years ago.
My boss at the time, had a similar set which had a blade with various size holes for different CSAs, which I thought was too fiddly.
Never really used the ones I bought though, don’t really do much T&E, and find my cable croppers easy enough to use on round cable.

In the end I bought the Wiha ones Richy recommended and I have to say they are the dogs danglies.

My hands are eternally grateful Richy. :)

Thanks ferg.
Us teuchters have to stick (strip) together!
Gave you a like buddy.

That's good marketing for you.

Yup, I bought 'em too, and the "CK ArmourSlice" what a load of crap that is! Takes 5 times as long and the blades wear out in no time. There was me thinking I don't fall for advertising!

I finally killed this years CK auto strippers, I think I mentioned somewhere else, after an afternoon of really tough 4mm LSF T&E.

So I purchased a pair of Klein ones, £32 off Amazon.

They are a superior product.

For one, the grip is rubberised and much more comfy in the hand.

The wire cutter is worth having.

The depth of strip gauge is metal, although I tend to remove them.

They did seem to perform better on the stretchy insulation on this crappy LSF. This could be because the CK ones were on their way out though.

In short, they are superior in build quality and seem to perform at least as well.

Will have to see if the last.

I finally killed this years CK auto strippers, I think I mentioned somewhere else, after an afternoon of really tough 4mm LSF T&E.

So I purchased a pair of Klein ones, £32 off Amazon.

They are a superior product.

For one, the grip is rubberised and much more comfy in the hand.

The wire cutter is worth having.

The depth of strip gauge is metal, although I tend to remove them.

They did seem to perform better on the stretchy insulation on this crappy LSF. This could be because the CK ones were on their way out though.

In short, they are superior in build quality and seem to perform at least as well.

Will have to see if the last.

My son started college last week, college gave a list off tools, one was CK auto strippers, so I thought I'd give them a go.
Before we start, I'm a confessed tool snob, but I thought lets see what you get for your money.
I stripped two cables and threw them back in his tool bag, back to my Knipex. Yep they are expensive at £77, but worth every penny in my book

Reply to Automatic wire strippers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock