Discuss Auxillary battery in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

cyclistbruce

HI've got a motorbike which has a split charge system to power a very small 1.3Ah sealed lead battery. This is used to power emergency lighting when the engine isn't ruining. The battery is now dead, I'm not sure if it's through being completely discharged and not recharged for a while (when the split charge system was turned off). But I was wondering if it could have been damaged by being overcharged by the alternator?

The split charge uses a relay so that essentially both batteries are connected in parallel when the motor is running and the aux battery is isolated when it's off.

Hi dude,these "split charge" relays are a particular bug-bear of mine...basically,it is a very old,inefficient means of keeping a second battery charged. You will not charge two batteries correctly,in parallel,because the charge control part of your system,internal or otherwise,"sees" one power source,and cannot differ between the two ,voltage or amperage wise. I am guessing that the relay is voltage switched,which is your first point of test,is your alternator reaching that threshold? is it adjustable? when switching,are the contacts functioning and is any fusing still functional? Depending on what bike you have,the maximum output of your alternator will probably be small,and current required for lights etc PLUS that needed by a flat auxillary battery,may have been too much for it's reg box. There are some very snazzy current limiting,voltage switching charge control units available,a bespoke one for your application would be about £80,and prevent overload of your alternator,overcharging of auxillary and maintain charge.

Checked that yoke...don't know how they have got around the criminal charge of "Quitting a motor vehicle",which is what they can charge you with,if it is left running,unattended.Plus all the other disclaimers...personally,if you need to leave it running all the time,its' system and use, has not been given enough thought.:coolgleamA:

Me sister is in the "Job" GMP,and "blue lights" never gave her a feeling of protection ...sometimes that empty,running police car gets boosted by a ten year old...:willy_nilly:

I had run lock on my last van,it's definately the better option if fitted correctly,it should cut the engine if either the handbrake or footbrake is released,on a motorbike it's easy enough to fit so that if the bike is put into gear or the brakes operated then the engine will cut.However there could be legal implications re,leaving a vehicle unattended with the engine running,mine was only left running on private land or if I happened to stop at an accident,in which case the police usually bother more about dealing with the accident rather than you having run lock on your vehicle.

I had issues re; Construction and use,of some plant i designed years back,where vehicle mounted equipment,which was used on site,had facility to switch to Rebated fuel (red) when kit was in use on site. Mainly access platforms,compressors,welders,mop-skimmers etc Basically either electrical or mechanical changeover valves,swapping feed and return lines,from road tank to site tank,with interlock and warning buzzer and lights,linked to handbrake. Concerns were centered around operators bypassing/fooling interlocks,and delay in throughput of red,meaning engine fueled by red for short time after changeover. Completed several variants,but never continued down type-approval path...nobody wanted to be a "test-case" jewel in VOSA's crown,so,onwards and upwards...:stooge_curly:

Reply to Auxillary battery in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock