Discuss Avoiding bathroom earth bonding in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

ktuk

-
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have signed up to the forum today in the hope of getting some advice on bathroom earth bonding for a bathroom renovation we are doing. I am an engineer with scares theoretical knowledge only and no practical electrical qualifications.

As part of the bathroom refit we are replacing the bath and want to change the position of the taps to the other end of the room. I thought this would be straight forward until I read the bathroom safety page in Collins DIY which says earth bonding must be professionally tested.

To avoid slowing things down and getting an electrician in for this one thing, I'm trying to establish whether using plastic pipe for the new work would mean that I could forget about earth bonding for the bath.

We currently have copper pipe coming through the wall and running about two feet to the bath taps. This two foot stretch is earthed on hot and cold. My proposed change would involve cutting the pipe at the point where it comes through the wall (this will be concealed behind the bath), then there will be approx. 1-1.5m stretch of plastic hot and cold pipe to the end of the room, where they will connect to the bath taps.

I've read quite a few pieces of information now, and I'm still confused. It seems easier to get an answer for a room which is entirely installed with plastic or copper pipe, whereas here we have a combination. Do the taps (which will be metal) still require earthing even though they are connected using over 1 meter of plastic pipe? Does the existing copper pipe (which will be cut back to behind the plasterboard wall) require its own earth?

Other things I in the room which are earthed are the mains inlet for the flat, and a radiator. I assume sink taps, shower and toilet pipes may also be earthed behind the plasterboard.

Thanks in advance for reading this and to anyone who is able to offer help. It is much appreciated!

without seeing the installation, my only advice is to employ an electrician with the knowledge of what is needed and the ability to test for compliance with BS7671. this work is also notifiable to building control.

This 'one thing' is possibly one of the most important part of an electrical installation... it's there to keep you and the users of the installation safe.

You've mentioned the mains inlet for the flat, I'm guessing a circuit for a radiator and not forgetting the lights... if you have no RCDs on these circuits then there is a good chance you need supplementary bonding.

And... beaten to it by a bloke :D The best advice is engage the services of an electrician. It's not going to be a huge bill for a couple of hours of their time.

There is a very good answer floating around in my head, for fear of being sexist and ageist, I had better not come in on this discussion.

Throw the Collins book away. It is almost certainly out of date.
There’s earthing and there’s bonding and ne’er should the twain meet.

I think you probably mean supplementary equipotential bonding.

If the water supply and drain pipes are plastic there is no requirement to bond the bath.

If the main bonding to the installation is up to spec, and if all electrical circuits in the bathroom are RCD protected, then bonded no in a bathroom is no longer necessary

Tel is used to coming first...... Sorry mate, I couldn't resist...
'er indoors might disagree there, so she has rated you a disagree. :p

@ OP. is it a plastic bath or a metal bath going in?. if it's the latter, you need to install some insulation around and under coz. they go cold before you've gotten round to washing your goolies.:D:D:D

@ OP. is it a plastic bath or a metal bath going in?. if it's the latter, you need to install some insulation around and under coz. they go cold before you've gotten round to washing your goolies.:D:D:D

If it's metal can you not glue some kettle elements to the bottom, to keep it warm... :tearsofjoy:

Throw the Collins book away. It is almost certainly out of date.
There’s earthing and there’s bonding and ne’er should the twain meet.

I think you probably mean supplementary equipotential bonding.

If the water supply and drain pipes are plastic there is no requirement to bond the bath.

If the main bonding to the installation is up to spec, and if all electrical circuits in the bathroom are RCD protected, then bonded no in a bathroom is no longer necessary
Yea,how ridiculously it was installing bonding conductors in a bathroom,how on Earth...did we manage.

Is that to the bottom (with skin on it) or to the bottom of the bath??

Either one mate. But if you glue them to your butt they will have to be plug & socket.... or a very long extension lead.

now we're being silly arses (albeit hot arses).

To the op,
go with the advice given and get a qualified spark in to take a look, he/she can test to see if bonding is required or not.

Use plastic push fit pipes from the copper and just bond the copper in a convenient place.

None of this earth cable bonding on show palawa,

Reply to Avoiding bathroom earth bonding in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net